Big transient magnetic field in the back yard

Its back, at 5 o'clock.

Actually getting a yellow warning light at the center.

But I think I have it figured out and it's pretty mundane. I could know tonight if I'm right but Im pretty sure now. Stay tuned.
Waiting to hear the theory.

Well, that sounds like it acted much like some areas on Skinwalker, with the transient fields that appear and go poof. Just a thought!
This is what I thought too!! Could there be metal or water acting as a conductor under ground. Maybe water pipes from a well? When the pump is running it might cause a field ? Just guessing.

Lynne, you are on the right track.

I pulled the site plan for my house (still have it after 33 years!) and found what was nagging at my memory. A power line runs dead-center down the middle of the field. It's a distribution line that cuts through my yard underground, to a junction box in the neighbors yard, then to four houses clustered together. Mine is one of them.

When the last home AC unit shuts down for the night, the field collapses. Apparently just lights and small appliances being used in the four houses pulling from the main line isn't enough to generate a large field four feet above ground. But AC units pull a lot of current. I could hear the last unit shut down last night as I was watching the meter. The timing was precise.

Case closed, but it sure got my attention when I first noticed it. In all these years, I've never caught that field before, but have only had the gear for a few years so I don't feel too badly. I suspect the heavy rains we had last week saturated the ground so it's much more conductive than it normally is.

Debunked.

Reactions: Duke
Lynne, you are on the right track.

I pulled the site plan for my house (still have it after 33 years!) and found what was nagging at my memory. A power line runs dead-center down the middle of the field. It's a distribution line that cuts through my yard underground, to a junction box in the neighbors yard, then to four houses clustered together. Mine is one of them.

When the last home AC unit shuts down for the night, the field collapses. Apparently just lights and small appliances being used in the four houses pulling from the main line isn't enough to generate a large field four feet above ground. But AC units pull a lot of current. I could hear the last unit shut down last night as I was watching the meter. The timing was precise.

Case closed, but it sure got my attention when I first noticed it. In all these years, I've never caught that field before, but have only had the gear for a few years so I don't feel too badly. I suspect the heavy rains we had last week saturated the ground so it's much more conductive than it normally is.

Debunked.
Raises the question of how many paranormal "investigators" get excited about similar situations? The belief that EMF fields can indicate the presence of a ghost is dubious at best to begin with, and then add in a lack of research about such things as wiring and electrical systems in places being investigated.

Raises the question of how many paranormal "investigators" get excited about similar situations? The belief that EMF fields can indicate the presence of a ghost is dubious at best to begin with, and then add in a lack of research about such things as wiring and electrical systems in places being investigated.

You raise a very valid point, Duke. Follow-up is as vital to the investigation itself and investigators must look for reasons for EM spikes and such, and not just automatically presume it is of paranormal origin.

Luckily, I am a sparky by trade and can usually spot electrical issues and circuitry running through a property on the off. I also have a good knowledge of how properties in the UK are wired and where I would expect to find EM readings. Occasionally, a DIY job will catch me off guard, but usually easy to identify after spending a bit of time looking at it and asking questions.

And well done to Utah for following up on it and getting the bottom of the source.

I'm convinced this instance was mundane, as are most. Paranormal EMF hits, from my experience, are fleeting and of lower energy levels than what you typically find with these meters designed for wiring and such. They are also quite uncommon. Not super-rare, but real paranormal "hits" are not common.

Some paranormal "investigators" seem to think that EVERYTHING is paranormal. We try not to associate with those folks, they can really mess things up. They are usually inexperienced and a little too enthusiastic. As time goes by, they learn to discriminate more effectively.

I became an artist, craftsman, and artisan in life, but did take chemistry and physics in college to the 300 series, before I knew I didn't want to be a scientist or engineer for a living. I'm very well-grounded (no pun intended) in electrical matters.

Reactions: titch2k6 and Debi
I'm convinced this instance was mundane, as are most. Paranormal EMF hits, from my experience, are fleeting and of lower energy levels than what you typically find with these meters designed for wiring and such. They are also quite uncommon. Not super-rare, but real paranormal "hits" are not common.

Some paranormal "investigators" seem to think that EVERYTHING is paranormal. We try not to associate with those folks, they can really mess things up. They are usually inexperienced and a little too enthusiastic. As time goes by, they learn to discriminate more effectively.

I became an artist, craftsman, and artisan in life, but did take chemistry and physics in college to the 300 series, before I knew I didn't want to be a scientist or engineer for a living. I'm very well-grounded (no pun intended) in electrical matters.
Well done, GW!

Paranormal aside, if it was associated with perhaps something akin to Skinwalker Ranch- UFOs maybe, time travellers, - a big hit is much less surprising. Debi and Lynne both knew this intuitively.
I would expect EMR up the wazoo around some of the flying, energy-vortex, Newton-defying stuff we've seen the videos of.

Uncle Ned's feeble spirit can barely make the needle flicker on the meter.

Reactions: Debi