Best/Most Unusual Halloween Decorations

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Saw this today while visiting a local cemetery where a friend is buried. I've never before seen a grave decorated for Halloween, complete with ghosts in the tree, skeletons on a line from the tree to the plant hook, and spider webs covering part of the bench.

What are the best/most unusual Halloween decorations you've ever seen? Either tell us, or if possible, post a photo.

20191002_124157 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad ya asked that! I had a nice size long term care unit (nursing home level) with four 75 foot hallways and a large dining area all decked out. I had spider webbing, ghosts, goblins, pumpkins, werewolves, etc, and an automated mechanical Grim Reaper decorating the place. The residents LOVED it. The doctors where aghast. "How could you have this when they are so close to death?" My answer, "Who says a truck won't kill you tomorrow, Doc? We're always at death's door and they are old enough to know it and have some fun with it!" They also all got to pass out candy to kids on Halloween night. They had a blast. (Every diabetic was off the charts the next day but...ya know....lol Don't eat the kid's candy isn't always followed.)

I think this family did a lovely thing. They took the TIME and effort to decorate a loved one's grave in a holiday theme. Who knows? They could have loved the holiday!

and an automated mechanical Grim Reaper
. I knew someone would have admonished you on that there. But my mind went to two other places too...:

1. The patients lining up to chat with the figure as if it were Santa at Christmas. :D

2. Patients asking you why “...you’d moved the decoration to stand just outside their room the prior night?” :eek:

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
One thing I wonder about is why my town has Trick or Treat night on the twenty fifth of the month? When I was a kid, we had Mischief night on the 30th, then Halloween on the 31st. Last night hubby and I were going to a function at the library and were surprised to see kids in costume wandering around. As we drew up to the stop light, a group started to cross the street and some dumbo nearly ran the red light and hit them. He had loud music playing in his car and slammed on the brakes just in time. My point is, when it really is Halloween, people are expecting to see children moving about in large groups after dark. I feel it is a safety issue, to pick some random night and pretend is it is the actual date of Halloween.

What do you all think? Should towns stick to the actual day or pick random days like mine does?

What do you all think? Should towns stick to the actual day or pick random days like mine does?
Some towns, like the one I'm visiting pick a non-school night like the Saturday before Halloween to celebrate trick or treat. Most town folk know this, but you are correct, you can't protect against the Dumbos or out-of-towners who are unaware of the town tradition.

2. Patients asking you why “...you’d moved the decoration to stand just outside their room the prior night?” :eek:
Actually, it became a bit of a game for the residents to go over and kick it telling it "not tonight you aren't!" We kept it in an area of alert and oriented people, not confused or ALZ patientts. My unit was a split, so we used discretion on what went were. :)