Bargains and generics

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Outside of money considerations, when do you always buy the bargain priced item?
Food, household goods, tools, clothing, entertainment, electronics, gas, car stuff, other thingies....

(Thanks to Paintman for the question today!)

Reactions: Paintman
I used to buy those old Faded Glory jeans from Walmart. Those were my old faithfuls since my High School years... until the fabric kept getting thinner and thinner and thinner. I was on a call to install systems at a local government office, it had been a nice long day, when I had to bend down to get under a table...and the entire front of my jeans ripped one large hole.

I kept working, figured WTH. But that was the last time I wore cheap jeans.
Now I only buy and wear quality Levis (501s or 505s).

At the grocery store I will buy the house brands for canned kidney beans and Northern beans, black olives, white rice, popcorn, white vinegar, ammonia, and bleach.
Meats on sale that have a 2 day window to cook by - get frozen.
Painting tools are usually the top-line, but I have no problem going to Harbor Freight to buy disposable power tools.:) I have a circular saw and a Sawzall that have lasted for 7 years. But I don't use them much. Most other stuff like shop vacs, air compressors and hand tools are Sears Crafsman or mid line Huskey brand at Lowes.
So, a mix.

Always..., except maybe for electronics. The brand typically does seem to make a difference there. With regard to food, household or fuel products, I have rarely encountered a name brand for which there is not an equivalent generic or house brand that is just as good and for significantly less money. Of course, not all non-name brands are created equal. But that is part of the discovery process.

Reactions: Paintman
I will by off brand if I’m sure the quality is best or the same. It all depends on the manufacture. Medicine can be a different story. Sometimes there is a difference.

tip: My local Rite Aide manager told me their store brands are exactly the same as the name brand, because they buy from the actual manufacture. They just put their brand labels on the products. There is no difference but price!!

Food wise I always go for the generic brand suger,rice,pasta and other stuff.I like brand name tea and coffee though and bourbon.Some of the no name items are actually better.I don't have a lot of clothing but I'm fussy even with workwear and spend up but they last a long time.I still wear designer sloppy joe's I've had for 30 years lol.

Food wise I always go for the generic brand suger,rice,pasta and other stuff.I like brand name tea and coffee though and bourbon.Some of the no name items are actually better.I don't have a lot of clothing but I'm fussy even with workwear and spend up but they last a long time.I still wear designer sloppy joe's I've had for 30 years lol.
I’m guessing that’s a boot ? Jeans ?

Reactions: Debi
Sloppy joe.I think you'd call them a sweat shirt,like a hoody without the hood lol.Another localised name for a common item.Imagine us trying to communicate with aliens lol.
It's hard enough to figure out the English between countries! :eek:

Reactions: Lynne and ozentity