Bad Weather Stories

Another extreme weather event I remember when I was stationed at Ft. Gordon in the 70's. My parents came to visit and wanted to take me and my friend to dinner. My dad wanted to go to a sea food restaraunt and we drove over the bridge to this island, seeing that everyone else was leaving the island. There was a hurricane coming. None of the restaraunts were open so we ended up driving back over the bridge and eating at a diner. So funny how we were clueless about the hurricane.

I've been through two tornadoes, a blizzard, a hurricane, a sandstorm, and an earthquake. The scariest was the blizzard in 1978. The snow was blowing sideways in 70+ mph winds, we got nearly 3 ft of snow over a three-four day period (with drifts up to 15 ft) and had windchills of -50°F. Many roads were impassable for a couple weeks, to the point the National Guard had to use tracked armored personnel carriers and helicopters to rescue the stranded and deliver supplies and medicine. I especially remember opening our front door and finding it completely blocked by a huge drift.

I've been through two tornadoes, a blizzard, a hurricane, a sandstorm, and an earthquake. The scariest was the blizzard in 1978. The snow was blowing sideways in 70+ mph winds, we got nearly 3 ft of snow over a three-four day period (with drifts up to 15 ft) and had windchills of of -50°F. Many roads were impassable for a couple weeks, to the point the National Guard had to use tracked armored personnel carriers and helicopters to rescue the stranded and deliver supplies and medicine. I especially remember opening our front door and finding completely blocked by a huge drift.
I remember the same blizzard, were you in OH then ?

I've been through two tornadoes, a blizzard, a hurricane, a sandstorm, and an earthquake. The scariest was the blizzard in 1978. The snow was blowing sideways in 70+ mph winds, we got nearly 3 ft of snow over a three-four day period (with drifts up to 15 ft) and had windchills of of -50°F. Many roads were impassable for a couple weeks, to the point the National Guard had to use tracked armored personnel carriers and helicopters to rescue the stranded and deliver supplies and medicine. I especially remember opening our front door and finding completely blocked by a huge drift.
I have been through earthquakes but not the big ones, and I did live through a bad tornado in Dallas, TX in 2009 or 2010. There were 13 tornados that touched down in the area and many houses and trees destroyed. It looked like one tornado skipped down a street hitting every other house on each side of the street for about 1/2 mile. The school behind my apartment lost a metal storage building that was picked up and thrown over the fence into the park where we walked our dogs. It skipped my apartment and hit the next building over.

Ja, your post brought back memories. We must be close to the same age because I remember not being able to wear pants to school and having to walk in the cold. I am in MI and we get a lot of snow and cold here. We had a bad blizzard in 78 and I remember mountains of snow. Thankfully by then girls were allowed to wear pants.
I remember not being allowed to wear pants to school. One day a group of girls, including myself, rebelled and came to school in bell bottom pants. We were all suspended.

I remember that blizzard, too. I lived near the Jersey Shore then, and I remember going down on the beach afterward and seeing all of these frozen crabs lying around.
If that was same blizzard, i remember we got so much snow we couldn't see out of our recreation room window. It was in a 'sub-basement' so bottom of window was close to ground level.

If that was same blizzard, i remember we got so much snow we couldn't see out of our recreation room window. It was in a 'sub-basement' so bottom of window was close to ground level.
Yep, that was the one! I remember finding it exciting at the time.

Reactions: Selectric