At least sometimes, they can't tell

Ronin

Recall my name, on your journey to hell.
Reaction score
I sent this to Charleh in response to a comment he made in the thread 'Tried everything, getting worse', as it wasn't IMHO respectful to the tone of the thread. He suggested it was interesting enough to post generally.

Back in 1997 my wife and I built a house on the hay field next to the house I grew up in. As far as we're aware, the only structure ever in that field was a small barn to one side that was gone long before my family moved there in the early 80's - and yet we still somehow ended up with multiple entities in the place. The wife even got a terrific picture of a mist checking the house out during construction.

One entity kept trying to get attention from me in my office. I owned a large (5 foot) iguana, whose cage sat right behind my desk, next to a media bookshelf. One night I heard Drake (said iguana) moving around, so I turned my chair away from my game to check on him - but he was fast asleep. So the thought occurred to me - could this thing tell if I was paying attention to it?

I spent the next two hours continuing my game and studiously ignoring it. During that time, it went from rustling, to rattling the cage, to tapping on walls, to playing my cassette tape collection like a xylophone, finally culminating in banging on the window on the other side of the cage. I didn't move from my game until it had finally gone quiet for 10 minutes. When I finally did get up, Drake was still sleeping, and I just stretched, yawned, and went downstairs to bed. So my takeaway was that no, it couldn't tell.

Another, funnier example of the same took place sometime after the above event. I was gaming online late into the night, and my wife was long asleep. I logged off, turned off everything, and left the room. The bonus room is on the SE corner of the house, upstairs, and the hallway goes west about 12 feet, then turns north and runs a good 30 feet to the stairs down, past all the other upstairs rooms. I see* extremely well in the dark, so I never turn on lights when I go through places at night. As I left my room and got to the turn in the hall, I ran into a huge, inky blob. It was irregularly shaped, but about 3 feet in diameter. I mean we were nose-to-blob. And we both pulled back in surprise. I could feel its reaction as well as I could my own. It took off back down the hall and out of sight.

So spirits/entities definitely aren't omni-aware :)

*Saw, really. I still see better than most in low light/darkness, but I had lasik a few years ago and it went less than optimally.

Reactions: Debi
Over the years, I've had some spirits/entities directly interact with me and others completely ignore me. Then there are those I've tried to ignore and ended up having items apported and having to demand them back.

We even have one member here who happens to be a pretty big skeptic who had to admit something was going on when he had 20 pairs of socks disappear....at once. Never to return. He's only recently begun to relent and admit he "may" have some activity in his home. lol I think whatever spirits he's ignoring wanted his attention....or somewhere in space ET has very warm feet. We haven't decided which entity it might be yet. ;)

LOL. Maybe a woman gave birth to three babies and needed the socks for their feet. lol That is interesting. I've had things disappear and one time, I had looked in that spot twice and it wasn't there. Then suddenly it was there later on looking a third time. I am so surprised when that happens. I call them Brownies from my fantasy reading. It is weird thing. I always feel someone else in the room even alone sometimes. Not all times. Especially at night. Maybe it's a normal deal there.

I think ignoring activity when possible is a good tact to take. Interacting and having fear seems to feed them.

The land where your house was built may have some attachment. Also not everything is spirit energy. There are other negative entities that like certain locations. Boo mentioned Brownies, I thought of Imps. Mischief makers. There are similar things called diff names all over the world.