Status
Not open for further replies.
Many times when I turn on the Saturday night "Somewhere In Time" show it seems Art is going on an anti-Democrat slant. I don't know if it was THAT regular of a thing since I didn't really follow politics until around 8 years ago and thus probably tuned this talk out when Art was still on nightly. I have to wonder if being on Right wing radio stations has anything to do with the select reruns. I was really hoping tonight's show would be a "Ghost to Ghost" but I had to hear about Vince Foster instead :(

Reactions: Mokey
If it was not for art coming back i never would have run the search that led me here I'm grateful for that

Reactions: Mokey and Paintman
This thread should never just die.

I do believe there is a strong potential for an Art Bell type to once again revolutionize the industry. But it won't be on terrestrial radio. It has to be on new age media, and as Art once said, it cannot be done by producing one prerecorded show a week.

All we have now are poor carbon copies.
What we need is somebody Unique. Someone who can create an air of mystery, someone who makes us want to suspend belief and just listen to the show. Even being mentored by Art, does not give me his Uniqueness. Nobody can replace that. And either you have something "special" or you don't-- you can't fake it.

I am not the guy, or the gal, to kick Coast to the curb but I will fully support the right person. Unfortunately, to date, there has not been a single person worth being supported by me at 1000%.

To keep this going for a while;
What do you miss about Art Bell and his style or hosting?
Has anyone ever come close to displaying an Art Bell type ability?

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman and Mokey
Bob I think you sell yourself short. You have the talent and voice to do what you speak of. I think Art was perfect in his time. There was nobody covering the paranormal stuff on a regular basis. He had an easy style and it gave everyone an escape from the worries in the news. The world is a scary place and it’s nice to have a couple hours when needed to escape and forget. I think he found a niche at the right time and medium. I’m no expert so that’s my opinion for what it’s worth. Of course he was a very talented interviewer. There is an art to that too. No pun intended.

Nah, I know my value. The problem is the financial aspect--now that YouTube has blacklisted shows like my former one--is next to zilch. In its heyday of 2015-2017, the show was pulling in over 4 grand a month on YouTube! My wife and I went on vacation in 2017, came back and YouTube had been attacked by ignorant advertisers pulling their ads from everybody.

They promised to better control the content that ads are placed on. That was the beginning of the end.

What made Bell a phenomenal radio talent was his ability/willingness to listen to guests and callers. He actually heard and digested what was being said, then responded with informed comments and/or questions. His conversations flowed, his interviews were discussions. Very different than most talk hosts who ask a series of ad hoc, often predetermined questions. While those questions might be loosely connected, the overall result is a disjointed program that does not produce a coherent, integrated final product.

A few things not brought up already. Art was a DJ at one time. His show music set a mood that was perfect for the night time. But he also selected songs that would appeal to a broad audience. The best one right now is when Richard Syrette hosts Coast to Coast. Last Friday he played a lot of songs that I never heard before, but they sounded familiar.
I think it's something good when the next day you go to the website and look at the playlist and start to investigate some new tunes.
If you interview someone with a book to sell, read the book, take some notes ,and write down your own questions. When George does this he is fantastic. When George doesn't do this he is treating his audience like a bunch of Schmucks.

I suppose reading the books is more important if it is a whodunit crime story, or unique UFOs or Cryptid sightings. Of course I would not bother to read a book about Spring Heel Jack, because there's really not so much you can do with that.;)

Art always talked about subjects that interested him. And he was certainly no one note Johnny:). He just had a great mix of topics. And do what Duke said, have a discussion. But bring in callers in on the discussion. I think that makes it more intimate for the Listener at home.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: 7Critter and Mokey
What made Bell a phenomenal radio talent was his ability/willingness to listen to guests and callers. He actually heard and digested what was being said, then responded with informed comments and/or questions.
And this is the same style that Bob Bain employs and why we like him.

And this is the same style that Bob Bain employs and why we like him.

I've never heard one of his shows. I selectively listen to paranormal radio, generally just UFO shows and then only if the guest is someone I consider credible. I'll have to tune in to one of his podcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.