Art Bell Bumper Music

i remember before you could find art on the internet or not just art but C2C i came back to michigan i did a lot of dial twisting on the AM radio but the problem was the radio waves got switched from analog to digital and you couldn't get a strong signal anymore but every now and then on a clear night you knew you could find a rerun show when you heard the bumper music.
and it was thrilling because that is all i had when i came back. We are spoiled now days.

I like how George put his stamp on the show. playing the standards. Frank and Dino. This past Saturday night was great when Ian Punnett had Chuck Levelle on. He was the piano player for the Allman Brothers and a Rolling Stones side man since 1982. Ian was spinning some great tunes.

I like how George put his stamp on the show. playing the standards. Frank and Dino. This past Saturday night was great when Ian Punnett had Chuck Levelle on. He was the piano player for the Allman Brothers and a Rolling Stones side man since 1982. Ian was spinning some great tunes.
If he starts with the Lawrence Welk music, I'm out.

Artist never complained about Art using their work for his bumper music. He always let the songs play to the point lyrics were being sung. Rush Limbaugh on the other hand has endured many complaints from artist for using their music as bumper music. He only plays the songs before lyrics are sung due to their complaints. Chrissie Hynde of "The Pretenders" has caught flack for letting Rush use her song "My City is Gone" as intro music. Chrissie said, "My dad loved listening to Rush Limbaugh and he would love to hear my music on his show."

Artist never complained about Art using their work for his bumper music. He always let the songs play to the point lyrics were being sung. Rush Limbaugh on the other hand has endured many complaints from artist for using their music as bumper music. He only plays the songs before lyrics are sung due to their complaints. Chrissie Hynde of "The Pretenders" has caught flack for letting Rush use her song "My City is Gone" as intro music. Chrissie said, "My dad loved listening to Rush Limbaugh and he would love to hear my music on his show.
Why would an artist care how long their music was played into or out of a bump? Isn't an artist protected by the ASCAP music licensing agreement the station/network must buy regardless of whether lyrics are played/heard?

As a aside, I learned how serious music licensing is taken a few years ago when my father died. He had a list of songs he wanted played during his funeral services, and had them put on a memory stick. When we presented the stick to the funeral director, he explained he would be unable to play our stick due to music licensing agreements. We had to go song by song, as he checked the songs they were licensed to play. We got all but one, and even that we got to include, but performed by a different artist than the one Dad wanted.

Why would an artist care how long their music was played into or out of a bump? Isn't an artist protected by the ASCAP music licensing agreement the station/network must buy regardless of whether lyrics are played/heard?

As a aside, I learned how serious music licensing is taken a few years ago when my father died. He had a list of songs he wanted played during his funeral services, and had them put on a memory stick. When we presented the stick to the funeral director, he explained he would be unable to play our stick due to music licensing agreements. We had to go song by song, as he checked the songs they were licensed to play. We got all but one, and even that we got to include, but performed by a different artist than the one Dad wanted.
I think the reason they didn’t want their music played on Rush’s show was political. They didn’t want to be associated with his political leaning. Cancel culture has been around long before it got a popular name.

I think the reason they didn’t want their music played on Rush’s show was political. They didn’t want to be associated with his political leaning. Cancel culture has been around long before it got a popular name.
Yes, I understand that part of BC's post. It's the "didn't play long enough for the lyrics" I don't get.

In the lead up to MitD, I remember Bell threatening to not do the show when he found out he was going to have to pay for a music licensing agreement. I think he was under the impression since MitD was going to be web based, as opposed to an over the air program, he didn't need an agreement. He'd apparently never had to deal with licensing personally since it was taken care of at the network level.