Art Bell admits he faked famous radio incidents(?)

I rarely go on FB anymore I had JC on my friend's list I have not talked to him in a while but I do know he wasn't who he claimed to be but it's all in fun. I like to remember Art for the entertainment he brought to us and enlightened our imagination. JC's page would light up and take a comment from him and go for hours at a time he used to tell me "GAT OFF THE DRAGS SUN OF THE DEBIL!"

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Just remember these shows are to be taken as entertainment and you'll never be disappointed.
There are guests who are honest.
There are hosts who are honest.

But you can never be 100% sure about either 100% of the time.

Reactions: Paintman
Even serious, mainstream talk radio programs do similar things, but it's usually employing shill callers to fire up the listeners. Fired up listeners means more callers which, in theory, translates at some point down the line to the selling of more on-air advertising.

Jacor (now evolved into IHeart) was well know in the industry for using on-air talent from other out-of-the-area affiliates to play the shill caller role. It was not uncommon for me to hear local talent (from WLW here in Cincinnati) making shill calls to shows on Jacor stations in other parts of the country during my travels. Conversely, there was a sports guy from some station out west (Phoenix?) who called WLW's nightly sports talk show a couple times a week to piss off the Reds/Bengals fans. Of course he claimed to be from a Cincinnati suburb. Even as recently as a year ago WLW had a shill passing himself off as a high society, multi-millionaire type who would belittle the people/city of Cincinnati. There were actually listeners who would call in and want to fight the guy!

Last edited: