Archaeologists Uncover 120,000 Artifacts During Medieval Abbey Excavations

This was interesting but no pictures, I wonder why. The little video didn't show anything. I always thought the isle of Man was ruled by Ireland but the article said it was self ruled. I also didn't realize how large it is, at least it looked big in the picture. Duke have you been there?

This was interesting but no pictures, I wonder why. The little video didn't show anything. I always thought the isle of Man was ruled by Ireland but the article said it was self ruled. I also didn't realize how large it is, at least it looked big in the picture. Duke have you been there?
It's technically a "dependency" of the UK, self governing internally, but relies on the UK for defence and international dealings and policies. During WW2, the Brits had an airbase there used for training and defense of Northern Ireland.

Yes, I've been to the Isle of Man once, for about six hours. There was a small, specialized manufacturing facility there that produced a critical component for use in military aircraft. The major UK aerospace firm we were dealing with arranged for us to visit/tour the manufacturing facility on the Isle. Part of the tour included a briefing on how their production facilities were designed to, and met, UK/NATO industry standards and how the UK regulated their international trade. They wanted to make sure we understood they were not a risk in the overall process of manufacturing/delivering critical military aviation components.

What little I saw of the island was very pretty, and very quaint. It's often used to film movie/TV scenes depicting rural Ireland/UK, particularly in the past. For example, the movie "Waking Ned Devine" was filmed there, although the story line was Irish.

The Isle of Man is probably most famous for a huge, annual motorcycle race that basically circles the island.

Reactions: Lynne
It's technically a "dependency" of the UK, self governing internally, but relies on the UK for defence and international dealings and policies. During WW2, the Brits had an airbase there used for training and defense of Northern Ireland.

Yes, I've been to the Isle of Man once, for about six hours. There was a small, specialized manufacturing facility there that produced a critical component for use in military aircraft. The major UK aerospace firm we were dealing with arranged for us to visit/tour the manufacturing facility on the Isle. Part of the tour included a briefing on how their production facilities were designed to, and met, UK/NATO industry standards and how the UK regulated their international trade. They wanted to make sure we understood they were not a risk in the overall process of manufacturing/delivering critical military aviation components.

What little I saw of the island was very pretty, and very quaint. It's often used to film movie/TV scenes depicting rural Ireland/UK, particularly in the past. For example, the movie "Waking Ned Devine" was filmed there, although the story line was Irish.

The Isle of Man is probably most famous for a huge, annual motorcycle race that basically circles the island.
Thank you for the information on this place. It is fun to learn about places I may never get to visit but still a wonder. There are so many exotic places in the world that would be great to visit.

Reactions: Duke