Anything weird in this photo?

Firstly, welcome to the forum ParanormalGamer.

So yeah, I believe this nothing more than pareidolia, enhanced due to the light conditions and the unclarity of the image. There is a lot happening for the brain to try and make sense of what it is seeing. I personally do not see a face, but I do see something in the lower right area.

To make sense of this, we need to look beyond the spectrum presented in the image. I use image analysing software known as Fiji which is actually designed for scientific analysis of particle images. By adjusting the colour to an 8-bit image, and then adjusting the brightness and saturation, we get a totally different view of things:

sample.jpg

What I define from this image, is possible items of furniture within a room. The highly lit area towards the centre of the image appears to be either a light table, or some kind of low display unit, as there is an obvious boxed 'body' below it. Looking at the shadowing of the base of what I presume to be a large couch on the back wall, we can also assume that this lit unit is on legs, as the body and shadowing cast by this 'couch' actually runs underneath the box 'body' of this unit.

Again, there appears to be the body of some kind of furniture in the bottom right corner, causing the dark shadowing effect in the original image.

Taking this further, I conducted an edge analysis on the image:

sample1.jpg

Two distinctive things can be taken from this. Firstly, it is quite unlikely that this is a close-up of a face. You can still make out defined shapes of potential furniture. Secondly, this is a really 'noisy' image. The brain just would not be able to make sense of it.

Interestingly, with all that being said, if you compare the two images, there does appear to be something on the right-hand side of the image in the lower half. However, due to the lack of clarity of the image, it is difficult to say what this could be. As the images show that the original image was either taken out of focus (most likely if the camera was working on an autofocus system in such poor lighting conditions), or experienced potential camera shake, this may just be blurring of the area due to the low light levels, or even potentially, a shadow cast from the photographer themselves. Unfortunately, we will never know.

Last edited:
Can you give us some background on the photo? Did you take it? If not, how did you come to get a copy? Where/when was it taken?
This was my question too. I don’t really know what I’m looking at. Looks like a distorted face in a red light.

Reactions: Duke

So yeah, I believe this nothing more than pareidolia, enhanced due to the light conditions and the unclarity of the image. There is a lot happening for the brain to try and make sense of what it is seeing. I personally do not see a face, but I do see something in the lower right area.

To make sense of this, we need to look beyond the spectrum presented in the image. I use image analysing software known as Fiji which is actually designed for scientific analysis of particle images. By adjusting the colour to an 8-bit image, and then adjusting the brightness and saturation, we get a totally different view of things:

View attachment 33462

What I define from this image, is possible items of furniture within a room. The highly lit area towards the centre of the image appears to be either a light table, or some kind of low display unit, as there is an obvious boxed 'body' below it. Looking at the shadowing of the base of what I presume to be a large couch on the back wall, we can also assume that this lit unit is on legs, as the body and shadowing cast by this 'couch' actually runs underneath the box 'body' of this unit.

Again, there appears to be the body of some kind of furniture in the bottom right corner, causing the dark shadowing effect in the original image.

View attachment 33463

Two distinctive things can be taken from this. Firstly, it is quite unlikely that this is a close-up of a face. You can still make out defined shapes of potential furniture. Secondly, this is a really 'noisy' image. The brain just would not be able to make sense of it.

Interestingly, with all that being said, if you compare the two images, there does appear to be something on the right-hand side of the image in the lower half. However, due to the lack of clarity of the image, it is difficult to say what this could be. As the images show that the original image was either taken out of focus (most likely if the camera was working on an autofocus system in such poor lighting conditions), or experienced potential camera shake, this may just be blurring of the area due to the low light levels, or even potentially, a shadow cast from the photographer themselves. Unfortunately, we will never know.
Wow!!! NICE EVALUATION!!! Thanks.

View attachment 33462

View attachment 33463

What caused the red tint of the photo? Once you cleared that out to create what is essentially a black & white photo, the two large pieces of furniture are readily identifiable. Could the "light table" effect be the result of a reflection from a camera flash off a glass/mirror top or highly polished table?

The dark object on the lower right looks to me like a suitcase or case of some type.

What caused the red tinted of the photo?

An incorrect white balance setting can cause a red tint in digital imagery, as well as on photographic film. AWB (Auto-white balance) could have potentially rectified this issue if it was available and turned on. The lower the light level, the more pronounced the red hue can be in the final image.

When your white balance is set for natural light, any incandescent light will give you a red tint. Most cameras can automatically 'decide' that, when it's being used in poorly lit situations, it will set itself to the highest possible ISO, opening the aperture as wide as it can, and you end up getting a short shutter speed. This results in certain light frequencies been allowed through more than others, red being the most commonly observed.

Could the "light table" effect be the result of a reflection from a camera flash off a glass/mirror top or highly polished table?

It could be, but if a flash was used, why is the image not brighter? Plus, with a flash, I would have expected to see more shadowing and more reflections. Due to the luminescence of the object, I concluded that it was coming from the source and if indeed an incandescent light, would contribute towards the red hue of the image, as explained above.

The dark object on the lower right looks to me like a suitcase or case of some type.

It may very well be, but as said, the image is of very poor quality, it could really be anything.

It could be, but if a flash was used, why is the image not brighter? Plus, with a flash, I would have expected to see more shadowing and more reflections. Due to the luminescence of the object, I concluded that it was coming from the source and if indeed an incandescent light, would contribute towards the red hue of the image, as explained above.
Thanks for the explanation of the red tint.

When I looked at the photo last night, I was quite confident the white lighted rectangle was a light fixture, probably incandescent, very similar to the photo I posted of the ceiling lights. It didn't occur to me it could have been ground based, however. Again, it was obvious once the red tint was taken away.

I hope Gamer comes back with additional background information on the photo and his friend who took it. My first question would be why he took the photo? Was there something in the room he physically saw and wanted to get a photo of?

I hope Gamer comes back with additional background information on the photo and his friend who took it. My first question would be why he took the photo? Was there something in the room he physically saw and wanted to get a photo of?

Absolutely.

There's usually a story behind images like this. It's not generally normal to be taking photos in a dark hotel room for no apparent reason. Did they hear something? Did they see something out of the corner of their eye? Where is the hotel? Does it have a history of strange activity and were they just snap shooting on the 'off chance'?

It would be interesting to find out more about the background of this, as you have said.

Reactions: Debi