Any thoughts on this entity please?

RoseRed

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
This is an account of my "biggest" paranormal experience to date. Please read to the very end of the post, as it is a story of two halves, both of which are important.

About 20 years ago I was a student living away from home in a huge, old house. The house was owned by a lovely retired couple who rented out the unused rooms to students. I lived with two other students for three months over the summer period. The house had six bedrooms and was over three floors, with two "half landings", each with stained glass windows. My bedroom was in the roof - a huge, converted attic, opposite a games room.

I honestly had so much fun in that house over the three months I was there. It was such a warm and friendly place, beautifully decorated by the couple who owned it and always filled with gorgeous cooking smells and sounds of raucous laughter. It was one of the most care-free times of my life. Not for a moment did anyone suggest it could be haunted and the thought never crossed my mind.

Out of the blue, one summer's night, I needed the bathroom about half an hour after I'd got into bed. This often happens to me (I know - too much information!) so I got out of bed, went out onto the landing, took a step towards the staircase...and stopped dead in my tracks.

In the corner of the "half landing", lit only by the dim orange glow of an outdoor street light falling through the stained glass of the window, was a black figure. I was terrified and stood rooted to the spot, staring at it.

It was fairly tall, slender and definitely a male and seemed to be dressed in some kind of hooded cloak, almost like a monk, although I could only make out an outline. It had no discernible features - it was just black. The more I stared at it, the more it looked as if it was staring back at me, from tiny, pinpricks of white light where its eyes should have been.

After what must have been maybe ten seconds, I hurried back into my bedroom, switched on the light and hid under the duvet, hardly daring to breathe. Eventually, I must have fallen asleep.

In the morning, it was a beautiful day and the sun came streaming into my room. I almost immediately forgot about the thing I'd seen the night before, dismissing it as a trick of the light, or maybe even the silhouette of a coat stand or some other thing that one of the owners might have placed there without me noticing it.

I never mentioned my encounter to a soul and, three months later, I left the house (I graduated) and moved back home with my parents. I lost touch with the girls I had been living with and the whole incident was, to my mind, forgotten.

Five years went by without any contact with either of them. Eventually, I moved to London.

Coincidentally, one of the girls from the big house had also moved to London and we re-established contact, becoming firm friends again. She had a flat and I started to go there most weekends for dinner or for drinks on her roof terrace. We would stay up into the small hours talking about anything and everything.

One night she started telling me about her Aunt who lived in an extremely old property (dating back to 1000 A.D.). She described how there was a particular room she refused to stay in as she had woken up one night to find a dark entity standing at the foot of her bed.

Now, prior to her saying that, I had no idea she believed in ghosts, so I had never told her about what I'd seen when we lived in the big house together. I mean, I didn't tell anyone, for fear that I would be ridiculed, and besides...it had been a trick of the light or a coat stand, hadn't it?

So, emboldened by the story she had just told me, I started to tell her about that night when we had been students together in the big house. When I got to the point in the story where I'd stepped out onto the landing and was heading for the stairs, I told her I'd stopped in my tracks because I'd seen something in the corner on the half landing -- but she interrupted me before I could tell her what it was. She said:

"Was it the figure of a tall man dressed in black?"

My blood ran cold and I felt instantly sick. She had just described to me something I had seen five years earlier, in the house where we lived together, even though I had never told anyone, even her. She went on to say:

"I used to see it in my bedroom, standing by the sink. Jessica saw it too"

So...my question is this: What was it?

I always thought it was just a ghost, but having tried to find out about ghosts in that area and coming up with nothing, I had stumbled upon internet chat about shadow figures... It seemed to fit with what I'd seen, especially as it was clearly aware of my existence and it had those weird eyes...

It has never appeared to me again and I don't (and have never) suffered from sleep paralysis or anything similar. I do not routinely see entities but I had a cluster of experiences whilst I was a student (no drugs/drink involved :p).

I would love any and all ideas and opinions on this one please, as this is my biggest paranormal experience ever and it took five years to fully unfold! I'd really like some help to try to make some kind of sense of it, please.

Thanks everyone and stay safe!

Ok, so I've just found an image online of the exact thing I saw, complete with the eyes! I had clicked on a link from here (supplied to another member by either Debi or Lynne...) which mentioned Heidi Hollis and shadow figures, and found this. Wow! This is literally exactly what I saw!

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 00.47.10.png

That was probably me....I often recommend Heidi as "the" source on shadow figures. She's personally dealt with them for quite some time and I highly recommend her as a source of info on them.

She is also an expert on The Hatman....closely related with those shadow people.

Thanks Debi. Am now listening to one of her podcasts!

I just wonder, then, why on earth this thing appeared to me? I mean, it didn't do anything, it just stared at me and then I never saw it again (and hope I never do - especially now I know for sure that it's a shadow person!).

I also read, courtesy of Heidi Hollis's webpage, that they tend to come at times of personal trauma - but I was very happy and content during this time and nothing bad happened to any of us, thankfully...so why was it there?

Also, do these things tend to attach themselves to people? Or are they specific to certain places, for example the house we lived in? Both of the other students also saw this thing, so I assume that means it's not something that was attached to one particular person...

Any thoughts/ideas regarding this would be gratefully received!

Reactions: Debi
Thanks Debi. Am now listening to one of her podcasts!

I just wonder, then, why on earth this thing appeared to me? I mean, it didn't do anything, it just stared at me and then I never saw it again (and hope I never do - especially now I know for sure that it's a shadow person!).

I also read, courtesy of Heidi Hollis's webpage, that they tend to come at times of personal trauma - but I was very happy and content during this time and nothing bad happened to any of us, thankfully...so why was it there?

Also, do these things tend to attach themselves to people? Or are they specific to certain places, for example the house we lived in? Both of the other students also saw this thing, so I assume that means it's not something that was attached to one particular person...

Any thoughts/ideas regarding this would be gratefully received!
There are just soooo many possibles that I wouldn't want to guess at it. It actually could have been attached to the building...sometimes certain places seem to be portals for these things. The Shadow People seem to be different from other paranormal experiences, in that many times normal approaches to banish them don't work. Some people feel these are interdimensional beings and not spirits or entities of the "normal" paranormal experiences.

Most of the paranormal still lands in the "unknown why" category. None of us can know for sure, and we use past experiences, history, myth and holy books to come up with possible answers. We can mostly just see "trends" when these things occur, but there are times they don't "fit" the normal expectations.

My brother and I both saw monk,reaper type entities in the home we were raised, both inside the house and in the front yard.They were only 3to 4 feet tall.The house was always alive with paranormal things,none were good.

Thanks for sharing your experience. These shadow beings are strange for sure. I saw one peek around a corner at me once while working a night shift. I have wondered if some could be spirits having an out of body experience? However it would not explain the hooded ones or the hat man. The one I saw was a tall black human shaped figure with no evidence of hair or cloths. I too think these things are something other than ghosts of people. I am very suspect of anything devoid of light and that visits when we are sleeping. In my reasoning, God is light and something devoid of light may well be his opposite. I think you handled it appropriately by ignoring it and not giving it any assent to get involved in your life.

This is an account of my "biggest" paranormal experience to date. Please read to the very end of the post, as it is a story of two halves, both of which are important.

About 20 years ago I was a student living away from home in a huge, old house. The house was owned by a lovely retired couple who rented out the unused rooms to students. I lived with two other students for three months over the summer period. The house had six bedrooms and was over three floors, with two "half landings", each with stained glass windows. My bedroom was in the roof - a huge, converted attic, opposite a games room.

I honestly had so much fun in that house over the three months I was there. It was such a warm and friendly place, beautifully decorated by the couple who owned it and always filled with gorgeous cooking smells and sounds of raucous laughter. It was one of the most care-free times of my life. Not for a moment did anyone suggest it could be haunted and the thought never crossed my mind.

Out of the blue, one summer's night, I needed the bathroom about half an hour after I'd got into bed. This often happens to me (I know - too much information!) so I got out of bed, went out onto the landing, took a step towards the staircase...and stopped dead in my tracks.

In the corner of the "half landing", lit only by the dim orange glow of an outdoor street light falling through the stained glass of the window, was a black figure. I was terrified and stood rooted to the spot, staring at it.

It was fairly tall, slender and definitely a male and seemed to be dressed in some kind of hooded cloak, almost like a monk, although I could only make out an outline. It had no discernible features - it was just black. The more I stared at it, the more it looked as if it was staring back at me, from tiny, pinpricks of white light where its eyes should have been.

After what must have been maybe ten seconds, I hurried back into my bedroom, switched on the light and hid under the duvet, hardly daring to breathe. Eventually, I must have fallen asleep.

In the morning, it was a beautiful day and the sun came streaming into my room. I almost immediately forgot about the thing I'd seen the night before, dismissing it as a trick of the light, or maybe even the silhouette of a coat stand or some other thing that one of the owners might have placed there without me noticing it.

I never mentioned my encounter to a soul and, three months later, I left the house (I graduated) and moved back home with my parents. I lost touch with the girls I had been living with and the whole incident was, to my mind, forgotten.

Five years went by without any contact with either of them. Eventually, I moved to London.

Coincidentally, one of the girls from the big house had also moved to London and we re-established contact, becoming firm friends again. She had a flat and I started to go there most weekends for dinner or for drinks on her roof terrace. We would stay up into the small hours talking about anything and everything.

One night she started telling me about her Aunt who lived in an extremely old property (dating back to 1000 A.D.). She described how there was a particular room she refused to stay in as she had woken up one night to find a dark entity standing at the foot of her bed.

Now, prior to her saying that, I had no idea she believed in ghosts, so I had never told her about what I'd seen when we lived in the big house together. I mean, I didn't tell anyone, for fear that I would be ridiculed, and besides...it had been a trick of the light or a coat stand, hadn't it?

So, emboldened by the story she had just told me, I started to tell her about that night when we had been students together in the big house. When I got to the point in the story where I'd stepped out onto the landing and was heading for the stairs, I told her I'd stopped in my tracks because I'd seen something in the corner on the half landing -- but she interrupted me before I could tell her what it was. She said:

"Was it the figure of a tall man dressed in black?"

My blood ran cold and I felt instantly sick. She had just described to me something I had seen five years earlier, in the house where we lived together, even though I had never told anyone, even her. She went on to say:

"I used to see it in my bedroom, standing by the sink. Jessica saw it too"

So...my question is this: What was it?

I always thought it was just a ghost, but having tried to find out about ghosts in that area and coming up with nothing, I had stumbled upon internet chat about shadow figures... It seemed to fit with what I'd seen, especially as it was clearly aware of my existence and it had those weird eyes...

It has never appeared to me again and I don't (and have never) suffered from sleep paralysis or anything similar. I do not routinely see entities but I had a cluster of experiences whilst I was a student (no drugs/drink involved :p).

I would love any and all ideas and opinions on this one please, as this is my biggest paranormal experience ever and it took five years to fully unfold! I'd really like some help to try to make some kind of sense of it, please.

Thanks everyone and stay safe!
ive seen a monk or two but i have no idea why they come or what they mean, all i know is that it seems to be a popular occurance for people to see them! weird that both your housemates did see it too!

Thanks for sharing.
I haven't seen anything like this, but from other people's experiences they just seem to stand and watch. This may give a clue on why there are here, possibly as observers. Why one would loiter on the stairs is a bit of a mystery. Not even the living tend to do that.

Only spirit I have seen in a cloak was a vicar in a church. Quite a jolly chap who obviously used to work there, and is now looking after the place.