Anti-demonic burial found in Poland

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Anti-Demonic Burial Found in Poland : DNews

dnews-files-2015-12-sickle_burial-jpg.jpg

Evidence of “anti-demonic” funerary practices, with sickles placed around the throats of the deceased possibly to ward off demons, has been found in a 400-year-old cemetery in Poland.

Researchers examined more than 250 human skeletons which were excavated since 2008 from a post Medieval cemetery in Drawsko, a rural settlement site in northwestern Poland.

Dating to the 17th and 18th centuries, the remains represented individuals of all ages and both sexes and included five unique interments with sickles.

“In four of these burials the sickles were placed on the bodies of the dead with the cutting edge tightly against the throat, while the fifth was located on the pelvis,” Marek Polcyn, a visiting scholar at Lakehead University in Canada, and Elzbieta Gajda, of the Muzeum Ziemi Czarnkowskiej, wrote in the current issue of the journalAntiquity.

The skeletons with the sickles around the throat were those of an adult male who died between 35–44 years of age, two adult females who died around 30–39 years of age, and an adolescent female who at around 14–19 years old.

There was also an adult female aged 50–60 years interred with a large, arch-curved sickle placed across her hips. A stone was placed directly on top of the throat, while a coin was found in her toothless mouth.

That is interesting.I do wonder how they determined that the sickle was to ward off demons.I would wonder if he was simply buried with his tools of his trade.Farmer in this life, and a farmer in the next.

Reactions: Mokey and Debi
That is interesting.I do wonder how they determined that the sickle was to ward off demons.I would wonder if he was simply buried with his tools of his trade.Farmer in this life, and a farmer in the next.
Interesting thought, Grinch. Hmmm...makes one think.

I think it maybe from the era when they thought the dead could rise up and suck the blood from the living. I know some cultures drove a stake through the heart before burying the dead at one time. This culture may have thought the sickle would be-head them if the rose up.

Reactions: Debi