And I miss....

I think of time constantly -- how much I use and how much I waste. Just last week, I noticed the thyme in my pantry was almost all used up and I had another one of my superstitious moments! Time's up.

And yet once upon a time, when my friends and I were schoolchildren, summer was everlasting. Life was an adventure and I could hardly wait to see what was around the next corner. I didn't worry about failure. There was so much of life ahead of me (or so I thought) to 'get it right' before it's all over.
Welcome to the forum CalicoBarnCat!

I agree! "Thyme's" up - good one! I do that all the "thyme"! :p Whenever I open something that is like Costco-sized, I actually think wow, there is a ton of this (whatever it is) - I wonder if I will still have this when I die - is it the last one of these I will ever buy?

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
Thanks for the welcome!

You know, I don't think I have ever been to Costco... The amount of 'stuff' that we acquire in a lifetime which may or may not be left behind for our heirs to sort out is something good to ponder.

Thanks for the welcome!

You know, I don't think I have ever been to Costco... The amount of 'stuff' that we acquire in a lifetime which may or may not be left behind for our heirs to sort out is something good to ponder.
I'm on a mission this year to bring the "stuff" down to minimum. Now, if the husband and kids would let go of a few things around here I'd have half a chance at this!

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
I'm on a mission this year to bring the "stuff" down to minimum. Now, if the husband and kids would let go of a few things around here I'd have half a chance at this!

Good luck! Somebody told me once that when it comes to housework and clearing out junk, you can inspire everyone else by your efforts. When they see the possibilities of all that freed-up space in the house, they are supposed to join in your enthusiasm.

In practice, I don' think it always works that way, but it's a nice-sounding theory anyway.

Good luck! Somebody told me once that when it comes to housework and clearing out junk, you can inspire everyone else by your efforts. When they see the possibilities of all that freed-up space in the house, they are supposed to join in your enthusiasm.

In practice, I don' think it always works that way, but it's a nice-sounding theory anyway.
Theory sounds great. Knowing my group, not gonna happen. But, I can at least bring my part down to minimalist.

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
The amount of 'stuff' that we acquire in a lifetime which may or may not be left behind for our heirs to sort out is something good to ponder.
Yes! I'm dealing with my family right now, trying to get our parents to get rid of a lot of their stuff they don't need. My father's sister just passed, and I thought after him having to go through all of her things would motivate him to see that he needs to do this while he is still around, not only to organize his own house, but to not burden we kids when he does pass. I'm not trying to sound harsh, just realistic. It's motivating me on paper, I just haven't found the physical energy to go through stuff yet. I do have an excuse right now in that I have a broken rib, but it's going to heal, then I need to get moving!

Reactions: Paintman
Yes! I'm dealing with my family right now, trying to get our parents to get rid of a lot of their stuff they don't need. My father's sister just passed, and I thought after him having to go through all of her things would motivate him to see that he needs to do this while he is still around, not only to organize his own house, but to not burden we kids when he does pass. I'm not trying to sound harsh, just realistic. It's motivating me on paper, I just haven't found the physical energy to go through stuff yet. I do have an excuse right now in that I have a broken rib, but it's going to heal, then I need to get moving!

I actually worry about how much stuff I have. Like you, I have trouble getting motivated to clean up and clear away unnecessary items. My 'excuse', if you will, is insomnia. I really am beyond tired on most days.

One thing that's really helped me so far is the discovery of junk removal companies. Some of them require you to pay for removal by the quarter, half or full truckload. Others take your unwanted stuff for free. The ones I hired did a nice clean job of it without any injury to the house in the process -- which is another thing I worry about when large items like furniture are being moved.

I actually worry about how much stuff I have. Like you, I have trouble getting motivated to clean up and clear away unnecessary items. My 'excuse', if you will, is insomnia. I really am beyond tired on most days.

One thing that's really helped me so far is the discovery of junk removal companies. Some of them require you to pay for removal by the quarter, half or full truckload. Others take your unwanted stuff for free. The ones I hired did a nice clean job of it without any injury to the house in the process -- which is another thing I worry about when large items like furniture are being moved.
OMG - we're two peas in a pod! I worry about how much stuff I have all the time. Partly because I do, and also because I'm by myself. So, if I don't get rid of it, my family is going to be stuck going through all my stuff. Some of it is worth some money, so I have a huge fear they are not going to know what they have and just get rid of it! Unfortunately I would not do well at all with a company coming in and doing it. I have a hard time with change, and also with people moving my stuff around! :eek:

I have chronic insomnia too! People think you'd be really organized if you don't sleep much, but they don't realize that without enough sleep, you're physically exhausted all the time! I end up "accidentally" falling asleep during the day, but I never just get four, five, six or more hours of regular sleep per night.

Reactions: Paintman
I worry about how much stuff I have all the time. Partly because I do, and also because I'm by myself. So, if I don't get rid of it, my family is going to be stuck going through all my stuff. Some of it is worth some money, so I have a huge fear they are not going to know what they have and just get rid of it! Unfortunately I would not do well at all with a company coming in and doing it. I have a hard time with change, and also with people moving my stuff around! :eek:

I have chronic insomnia too! People think you'd be really organized if you don't sleep much, but they don't realize that without enough sleep, you're physically exhausted all the time! I end up "accidentally" falling asleep during the day, but I never just get four, five, six or more hours of regular sleep per night.

I have been told that the downsizing move after acquiring a mountain of stuff from 40+ years of marriage and kids is one of the hardest times of life. This is a frequent topic of conversation among us old folks!

If you have smaller items that are worth money, I suppose you could invest in a bank vault. I guess I would either label the big stuff or just tell people about it so they wouldn't throw it out when they inherit it. Another thing I have known some people to do is give away valuable items to friends and family before they're gone -- that way they know for sure who it's going to and that it has a good home where its worth will be appreciated.

The insomnia is a real killer, I know! I have tried both over the counter meds and prescrip but nothing works for me.

Reactions: Lynne