Ancient Stone Balls Mystery Solved

Ahh used for bone breaking to get marrow! My first thought was for throwing, either as a weapon or for hunting. Good find Duke.

I can see they are pretty rough...stones. Technically any stone would do as long as they were a handy size.

But what about these?
Pictish carved stone balls found in Scotland. They are still a mystery too.

Geometric-Stone-Spheres-of-Scotland.jpg

One of the sure signs of humanity, when it has reached a level above a pure hand to mouth existence, is that he will then take his tools and work to make them attractive above and beyond just functional. It seems to just be the nature of people.

Mankind has been called the naked ape but even more than that, mankind is the artistic ape. An ape might use a stick for something but a man will use it a few times and then start to work on it to make it pleasing to the eyes or touch even if it doesn't improve the efficiency of its usefulness.

Last edited:
I can see they are pretty rough...stones. Technically any stone would do as long as they were a handy size.

But what about these?
Pictish carved stone balls found in Scotland. They are still a mystery too.

Geometric-Stone-Spheres-of-Scotland.jpg
Sling shot balls? Just guessing.

Reactions: SierraRocks
Sling shot balls? Just guessing.

Maybe not slingshot but could easily be bolas type weights. Even one on a short rope would be formidable. They are also found at random on hillsides rather than in caves so i think they would be used for hunting. Some of the shapes lend themselves to being held in rope - but still having a hard edge to crack a skull.
It could also be used for war vs people who just throw stones- these would be more accurate and re-usable. Like a wooden mace. Some are very mace like. Others have pictish symbols carved on. Maybe for luck or protection?

Maybe not slingshot but could easily be bolas type weights. Even one on a short rope would be formidable. They are also found at random on hillsides rather than in caves so i think they would be used for hunting. Some of the shapes lend themselves to being held in rope - but still having a hard edge to crack a skull.
It could also be used for war vs people who just throw stones- these would be more accurate and re-usable. Like a wooden mace. Some are very mace like. Others have pictish symbols carved on. Maybe for luck or protection?
Yes this is what I was thinking too. I didn’t know the right term. A projectile to hunt !