Ancient Lighthouse Mystery in Scotland

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Great Lighthouse Mystery of Eilean Mor | Mysterious Universe

flannanisleslighthouse-570x428.jpg

For centuries, over the nighttime and gray, gloaming seas, the twinkle of a light across these churning waters have guided mariners through rough conditions and perilous passages. In ancient times, it was fires blazing upon their hilltop platforms, and from the turn of the 18th century it was the modern lighthouses that illuminated the way over the vast, treacherous seas. For centuries, these outposts were manned by the brave few who would sequester themselves away from the world to man the beacons, and it was a mostly a lonely, forlorn occupation beset with numerous hazards. Many of these lighthouse keepers bravely faced these hardships to dutifully keep the lights burning even as powerful winds and potent storms lashed out at them, always courageously pushing forth in the face of the angry sea to provide safe passage to those who needed it. It may come as no surprise that such isolated, dangerous places, often perched atop barren rock in the whipping wind, have proven to be the origin of many legends and mysteries throughout their history. One such case comes to use from the wave lashed, storm ravaged coast of Scottish islands, where a brave trio of lighthouse keepers kept vigil over the ocean, only to step forth into oblivion to become one of the most perplexing maritime mysteries there is.

Located around 65 miles off of Scotland’s cold, wind battered northwestern coast are a group of secluded tiny islands known as the Flannan Islands, also know in Scottish Gaelic as Na h-Eileanan Flannach, and also called “The Seven Hunters.” Part of the Outer Hebrides island chain, the Flannan Islands take their name from the 7th century Irish preacher, and later saint, St. Flannan, who once inhabited the island called Eilean Mor, meaning “Big Isle,” along with his followers of the then ubiquitous Celtic church and built a chapel here. After the decline of the Celtic Church, St. Flannan and his congregation would abandon these desolate shores, and the Flannan Islands would become the mostly uninhabited rocky specks of land they have remained to this day.

Full story at Site

I post this because I know we have one member from that part of the world and hope he stops by to comment on the story! Calum

Reactions: Lynne and 7Critter
Its about 60 miles from me. Wet, windy and remote - I love it :)
I've known this about event as long as I can remember. It's a good article which covers pretty much all the theories and I can't really add anything further, unfortunately. Us locals are pretty much split 50/50. Half believe its down to the ,"Bochan" (not sure if I spelt it correctly - too lazy to google lol) Gaelic for ghost but has deeper, darker connotations to it and those believe it was an argument that got out of hand. I'm in the latter camp.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Its about 60 miles from me. Wet, windy and remote - I love it :)
I've known this about event as long as I can remember. It's a good article which covers pretty much all the theories and I can't really add anything further, unfortunately. Us locals are pretty much split 50/50. Half believe its down to the ,"Bochan" (not sure if I spelt it correctly - too lazy to google lol) Gaelic for ghost but has deeper, darker connotations to it and those believe it was an argument that got out of hand. I'm in the latter camp.
Thank you for the thoughts, Calum! I was pretty sure you were close!

Reactions: 7Critter and Calum