Ancient Greek gods

Personally, I think it doesn't matter that much whether the universe created itself, or whether a higher being (which must have been created by something) created the universe. There is a chance that we are the greatest specie ever created. So why shouldn't we take advantage of that? People are able to create and maybe even create life in good time. I suspect that the definition has been somewhat glorified over the years. Everyone could be / become a god, provided they are open to this. As long as your mind is different from others. Take a book, for example. the reader has no power, he is but an observer. But the author is different, he can change the future, decides about the way of things that are. If a person manages to get it done, to be the author, and draft a new chapter in human history, a chapter where humankind can be more than it is today, a chapter where just perhaps we can all still exist together.
Excellent post Consus. Creating a better tomorow is my goal too.

In my opinion, the word isn't as much "God" as it is Godlike. When the Spanish invaded Central America they were godlike with their guns and then to the point of view of the natives they cursed them and they died in MASS. They didn't know anything about infectious diseases it was as if the Spanish gods just cursed them and wiped them out.

During WW2 the Pacific islanders assumed that the "God" had come to their island and after building landing strips they called down gifts from the gods. At the end of the war the troops left and the natives made wooden airplanes and put them on the landing strips trying to call the gods back.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

In my opinion, the word isn't as much "God" as it is Godlike. When the Spanish invaded Central America they were godlike with their guns and then to the point of view of the natives they cursed them and they died in MASS. They didn't know anything about infectious diseases it was as if the Spanish gods just cursed them and wiped them out.

During WW2 the Pacific islanders assumed that the "God" had come to their island and after building landing strips they called down gifts from the gods. At the end of the war the troops left and the natives made wooden airplanes and put them on the landing strips trying to call the gods back.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
The Aztecs didn't thought that they were gods, but the Spanish made the snowball rolling. The Aztecs were already on the brink of collapse when the Spanish arrived. You can find more about that in this link:
But cargo cults are different, they try to recreate sciense, without really knowig how or what.

But I agree that those story’s are less godly than they want you to believe.

I think Hermes is indeed a kind of key to understanding the concept of god. I think he is the same as the god and that he shows that maybe a human could be a god. for why does a god have to be a heavenly being, if it can also be just an important person of ancient times? I think that gods are just like you and me.
By definition I would have to disagree. A god is one who has supernatural abilities. Humans do not possess those abilities. I don’t know if the mythical men of old were Gods but it is interesting to discuss the topic.
noun
  1. 1.
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

2. 2.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

The Aztec thing is really strange. Before the conquistadors showed up they had a previous visitation of some bearded Caucasian people that they considered to be at the very least sent by gods. There are images of these visitors that are totally different in appearance than the Native American peoples in both skin colors and beards. There are also representations of people that are obviously of African Negroid facial structure. All of this was old and present long before the arrival of Columbus.

At the time of the current arrival of the Europeans there was a certain uncertainty about the exact place that the new arrivals fitted. They welcomed them fairly openly and honored them with what to them was important religious rites. The Spanish were not prepared to watch them cut the hearts out of a few dozen people to offer the blood and heats to the gods and then roll the body down to the people. In response to the well-meant greeting the Spaniards offered them the sword and disease and wiped them out as a civilization.

One of the things that is still a puzzle is that along with the representations of bearded European type faces and African Negroid faces they also had faces that were more like what we now call the Greys than any normal terrestrial peoples. I THINK that there were even faces that would make you think of people from Eastern Asia.

There are a lot of oddities concerning the peoples of the Americas. Down in the Southern tip they have found remnants of a people that are no longer represented in the native peoples of the Americas that are distinctly similar to the Australian Aborigine. The fossil bones were found in association with a village and the wood there was dated to a time long before the normally proposed arrival of peoples across the Aleutian land bridge. Who were THEY and were they wiped out by the later arrivals or did they just fade away? Nearly all peoples have remnants in their DNA from merging far in the past with smaller populations of other sorts of people. There is one very small tribe in Africa that lacks this and they are most likely are the remnants of the original humans that left Africa and spread all over the world. They are the only racially pure people ever found.

The Aztec thing is really strange. Before the conquistadors showed up they had a previous visitation of some bearded Caucasian people that they considered to be at the very least sent by gods.
The Mormons even have a painting of Jesus visiting the Aztecs in the front of their Book of Mormon.

By definition I would have to disagree. A god is one who has supernatural abilities. Humans do not possess those abilities. I don’t know if the mythical men of old were Gods but it is interesting to discuss the topic.
noun
  1. 1.
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

2. 2.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
Over the years human language carries knowledge and with knowledge comes lies and broken promises.

The Aztec thing is really strange. Before the conquistadors showed up they had a previous visitation of some bearded Caucasian people that they considered to be at the very least sent by gods. There are images of these visitors that are totally different in appearance than the Native American peoples in both skin colors and beards. There are also representations of people that are obviously of African Negroid facial structure. All of this was old and present long before the arrival of Columbus.

At the time of the current arrival of the Europeans there was a certain uncertainty about the exact place that the new arrivals fitted. They welcomed them fairly openly and honored them with what to them was important religious rites. The Spanish were not prepared to watch them cut the hearts out of a few dozen people to offer the blood and heats to the gods and then roll the body down to the people. In response to the well-meant greeting the Spaniards offered them the sword and disease and wiped them out as a civilization.

One of the things that is still a puzzle is that along with the representations of bearded European type faces and African Negroid faces they also had faces that were more like what we now call the Greys than any normal terrestrial peoples. I THINK that there were even faces that would make you think of people from Eastern Asia.

There are a lot of oddities concerning the peoples of the Americas. Down in the Southern tip they have found remnants of a people that are no longer represented in the native peoples of the Americas that are distinctly similar to the Australian Aborigine. The fossil bones were found in association with a village and the wood there was dated to a time long before the normally proposed arrival of peoples across the Aleutian land bridge. Who were THEY and were they wiped out by the later arrivals or did they just fade away? Nearly all peoples have remnants in their DNA from merging far in the past with smaller populations of other sorts of people. There is one very small tribe in Africa that lacks this and they are most likely are the remnants of the original humans that left Africa and spread all over the world. They are the only racially pure people ever found.
Can you paste a link about the greys and the paintings?

Reactions: Black Cloud
I think that I got that from one of the TV shows. They were showing pictures of the faces on some of the structures in Peru I think. The races were represented but then there were faces that were a little other than a normal human in characteristics. In some ways, the African faces were almost as unlikely to be found in Peru as the odd faces.

We are currently sort of stuck with the idea that there were NO humans in the Americas until they came across the Alaskan bridge. That is the accepted theory and the one that the elders of anthropology have hung their hats on so any evidence that might indicate otherwise is swept under the table or ignored.

We lost so much in our understanding of those people. The damn Spanish burned anything that they didn't understand so our understanding of those people is sort of like describing the French-based on 7 books selected at random from a French library.

THEN there are things that can't be spoken of...there evidently were some dietary habits that really were troublesome that may have played into the reaction that the Spanish had to the Aztec civilization.