Ancestry

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Have you ever traced back your ancestry?
Found anyone in the past that was famous?
Learned you had more countries in you than you thought?
What do you know about your family line that surprised you?
824c350f890341b6ad3c26dd6554a2aa.jpg

Reactions: Selectric and Duke
This topic is brought to you by my son's sudden need to know a lot of family history for the genetic testing he had done to fight cancer. We began going through my side of the family and after giving all that info he wanted to know more about my maternal side of the family. He's always wanted to visit Croatia because it's a beautiful country, and now he's knee deep following the family path back in time! He's also decided to get an app to learn Croatian. (I can understand it better than speak it, so the app it is!)

I have really only tracked back the Native American info from my dad so he's got some digging to do.

I knew I had Irish from my grandad and Nordic from my surname but my family also believed we had Maori ancestors until my DNA test showed it to be African. Further study showed they were from Jamaica, probably slaves brought over here. Weird mix but at least I know why I love Reggae now :sunglasses:. I'm also related to an old famous female Sydney gangster named Tilly Devine, which could be a good or bad thing ;th.

Now that is a cool fact! You just gotta love that name. :D
Apparently she ran a string of brothels and had razor gangs working for her among other not so good things but there is something people like about these old gangsters, it's hard to explain but she was pretty feared in Sydney back then.

My dad's cousin did a Is genealogy in the 1980's.
Grammie's family was in the United States before it was a country. Late 1600's. Scots - Irish .
I have a photocopy of an old newspaper article written in 1816 Kentucky.
"Chasing The Black Devil."
A very distant relative was in the woods and came across a strange large animal that he had never seen before.
The animal attacked him and he fired his rifle and then fired his single shot pistol. To no effect - The animal kept attacking and they were soon ' wrassling'.
The distant relative was able to get to his knife and dispatch this vicious strange creature.
He dragged it back to his small outpost of a town and asked " what is this black devil ?"
It was a black panther.

(Pretty cool someone transfered the article to microfiche. )

A fun topic. I have not traced my DNA but my daughter has, so I guess i could now since we have already been outed in a sense lol. We have a pretty good oral history for the last couple generations. It is being lost though and we really should write stuff down.

Reactions: Ragnar0711