An interesting thought..

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with my oldest down in Florida on Thanksgiving. He has a small amount of acreage and, due to all that is going on right now, is raising chickens, rabbits to sell, and is looking into adding some of those small houses on the property for his kids.

We talked a bit about how families in the past had "generational" homes. Grandparents, kids and grandchildren all lived in one home. The sharing of resources helped all, and a kind of deep family roots were there. We grew away from that in the past, but I'm seeing a resurgence of this idea slowly coming back into the minds of many.

What do you think of this idea?

I had an interesting conversation with my oldest down in Florida on Thanksgiving. He has a small amount of acreage and, due to all that is going on right now, is raising chickens, rabbits to sell, and is looking into adding some of those small houses on the property for his kids.

We talked a bit about how families in the past had "generational" homes. Grandparents, kids and grandchildren all lived in one home. The sharing of resources helped all, and a kind of deep family roots were there. We grew away from that in the past, but I'm seeing a resurgence of this idea slowly coming back into the minds of many.

What do you think of this idea?
I like the idea of living within walking distance of family, sharing garden space, live stock, resources.

I think the kids will decide for themselves as they come of age. Their spouses may have other ideas and sometime job opportunities dictate where we live. Our lives are not dictated by travel barriers like they were 150 years ago. The little houses are a good idea if you have kids that will never leave home or have children of their own. If life dictates the possibility of living on a family camp ground, I think it’s a wonderful thing to have those we love close by.

I've had more time than I'd like pondering this thing. I am a "tribal" human so to me it is or should be the Way.

Like Lynne, I know each Child will seek their own destiny... but I think it is society that dictates if they return or not. We think we are a free thinking and enlightened world compared to the past, but this is simply not so. The pressure by society to assigned roles of "what is a man" ... "What is a woman" ... even at what age you should do this or be like that ... is dictated by a society that (at least in this country) is firmly stuck in it's own muck. Very linear. Children that would remain or return are frowned upon at best, looked down on and scoffed at even. ESPECIALLY boys/men.

We have become a nation that is firmly determined that reality is a tangible thing. And VERY Spiritually constipated. lol The old disdain the young. The young ... well... meet expectations or rebel... either way does not a happy life insure. Respect from old to young and young to old is eroded so badly as to not exist... Tribe... family... as it should be... could be... is lost to us.

Working together for a different kind of future - Tribe - is considered non-assimilation. Society hates that. Assimilate or die has been our motto for many MANY long years. 'sigh'

:)

But that is just me rambling...

Reactions: garnetsilver
For most of my young life - until mid-20-something - my parents and I lived with my sister and her family. For a few years we were in the same house. Later we lived in a duplex and in fact move to a different duplex.

Then my sister forced my nephew out and it all went to hell in a handbag. I moved out because my sister and BIL became too much.

I would like to think we could have been together for another 20 years.

Last edited:
Wands, it seems that just because people are related to each other that they will not always get along. I have sisters that it would be my idea of hell to share living quarters with!
Could have just been a sibling thing, but my sister was also very uneasy around me maybe even jealous of me. I have very often thought that she had psychic experiences similar to my own and knew that someday I would be her equal and didn’t like that Thus chose to push me away too.

• Sad
Reactions: garnetsilver
There were 5 of us kids in mom & dads family and none of us got along growing up. We still don't, so family gatherings are always small.
We all couldn't move out fast enough as soon as we turned 18.
Just being around them is a negative energy festival. No thanks!