News An end to drunk driving?

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.popsci.com/five-years-your-car-will-prevent-you-driving-drunk

Drunk driving kills 28 people a day, according to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report in 2013.

Attempts to curtail deaths caused by drunk driving, from organizations like Mother’s Against Drunk Driving, have long tried to educate the public on the topic. Yet people continue to get behind the wheel after drinking. A new technology, recently demonstrated by the Department of Transportation (DOT), might be able to prevent that.

Using special touch pads, either located in the push-to-start button or in the steering wheel, the vehicle can measure whether or not the driver has been drinking. If it’s determined the driver is over the legal limit with blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent or higher, the vehicle will not start.

Laudible, but ineffective against the vast majority of people who decide to drive while intoxicated. From what I have seen, most drunk drivers are driving older vehicles. I think an aftermarket kit like this would have better coverage.

Reactions: Debi
There are sooo many ways to get around these things. I just don't see them being the complete answer. May stop a few, but I think the majority of people will find a way around this.

Reactions: surge
There are sooo many ways to get around these things. I just don't see them being the complete answer. May stop a few, but I think the majority of people will find a way around this.
Yep, If someone wants to drive after they've had a few, they just won't buy a vehicle equipped with something like this. Or someone finds a way to disable it... lots of workarounds for tech if you really try hard enough.

boom, workaround..... the funniest part would be watching a drunk get it out of the trunk and into the driver seat:)
hindsgaul-herrenfigur-1037079030110.jpg

Reactions: surge and Debi