Amelia Earhart Museum

Some Marines and GIs reported finding photographs of Americans, including Earhart, sometimes displayed on walls of buildings abandoned by the Japanese on Saipan and other islands; one described finding a map marked with her intended course of flight. Others described finding photos of Earhart on the bodies of dead or living Japanese soldiers. Robert Wallack, a Marine who took part in the invasion of Saipan, reported finding an attaché case in Garapan containing papers that appeared to him to be related to the world flight. Others reported finding a suitcase and an Earhart diary on Kwajalein, where some stories have Earhart being taken after she ditched in the Marshalls and before she was taken to Saipan.

(My family lived on Saipan and Kwajalein in the mid-late 60's)

Some Marines and GIs reported finding photographs of Americans, including Earhart, sometimes displayed on walls of buildings abandoned by the Japanese on Saipan and other islands; one described finding a map marked with her intended course of flight. Others described finding photos of Earhart on the bodies of dead or living Japanese soldiers. Robert Wallack, a Marine who took part in the invasion of Saipan, reported finding an attaché case in Garapan containing papers that appeared to him to be related to the world flight. Others reported finding a suitcase and an Earhart diary on Kwajalein, where some stories have Earhart being taken after she ditched in the Marshalls and before she was taken to Saipan.

(My family lived on Saipan and Kwajalein in the mid-late 60's)
P.S I believe the U.S gov't covered up her capture but knew of it

I don't think she was a spy but I wouldn't put it past the U.S gov't to have put some kind of spy equiptment on board w/out her knowledge.
I suspect "spy equipment" (cameras and maybe radio homing equipment and DMEs) were on board her Electra, but she had to have known and approved. Gear from that era was both large and heavy, no way that equipment could have been aboard without her knowledge. She would have had to account for it in her navigation/range and performance calculations.

I suspect "spy equipment" (cameras and maybe radio homing equipment and DMEs) were on board her Electra, but she had to have known and approved. Gear from that era was both large and heavy, no way that equipment could have been aboard without her knowledge. She would have had to account for it in her navigation/range and performance calculations.
ooohh Good point!

wonder if that extra weight caused low fuel issues?
More weight in the form of equipment would have meant less weight on fuel, but again all that would have been taken into account in her calculations. The more equipment weight/less fuel would not have been a surprise.

Reactions: Lynne and Selectric
See related image detail

Garapan jail. It was in the middle of the overgrown boonies (jungle) and difficult to get to
Does not look like a place to spend your final days. Americans (then again, were any?) were treated very poorly as PoW's especially if suspected or proven to be a spy. That would be a sad end for such an icon.

one of my first psychic experiences was hearing an american woman say "I died here" when my family was touring the prison on Saipan (1966) where some say she was taken prisoner. I feel (in retrospect) that she was trying to connect because I was an American and in her last days she felt very alone . The island was mainly Saipanese and must have felt far,far away from the home. I have watched a lot of videos of old,old Saipanese people (who were kids back then) saw a thin,white woman with short hair in the prison or as it was called Garapan Jail. (sorry,told this story previously) I don't think she was a spy but I wouldn't put it past the U.S gov't to have put some kind of spy equiptment on board w/out her knowledge.
That had to be quite the experience Jad. I thought that here bones were found on that island. Wasn't that on expedition discovery? I guess it must have been inconclusive.