Allowance?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
82318825_3356245657770809_7348490457053134848_n.jpg

Did you have to earn it? How much was it? How did you spend it? When did it stop?​

Reactions: Donna K.
View attachment 22398

Did you have to earn it? How much was it? How did you spend it? When did it stop?​

I don't remember getting a set allowance, but did get paid for doing some chores. We also got paid for good grades.

And for our UK and Australian members:

Allowance=Pocket Money

And for our UK and Australian members:

Allowance=Pocket Money
Although we all speak English, I appreciate you being our translator for our English to English.

My mom was a bookkeeper by profession. The woman had a chart. Not only were we "paid by expected chore", we were paid by the "quality" of the work. Three categories...Done well/Done/Do it again. It was a bit like earning a paycheck....lol I once painted a fence 3 times as a teen to earn that money. (No one told me you had to stir the paint first. And then was it MY fault it took that many coats to cover the dang thing? I think it was a product failure!)

We got that allowance, when we earned it, until we were old enough to get a work permit. Then mom expected us to get a part time job of some sort. Work ethic was taught, believe me. This was not a "hand out" for being a kid at my house! lol And mom kept RECORDS!

Got an allowance. Pretty much like you guys, for chores done....usually spent it on comic books..lol.....allowance ended when old enough to work part-time jobs, yet somehow the chores didn't end....hmmmm.... I think I'm owed back pay....lol

Didn't get an allowance,but used to work with my dad on weekends and got paid.I also used to breed chickens, ducks and birds and sell them,I had to pay for the feed and stuff.I grew up in the city but our yard looked like a farmyard.I started work at 15 as an apprentice Greenkeeper and the pay for a first year apprentice was $62 for 6 days a week lol.

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi
We (my little brother and I) didn't get an allowance - BUT - we DID know exactly the right buttons to push with Mama's 'friends' to get paid to go away. By Saturday we'd have pocketed enough nickles and dimes to walk to the movies, buy candy, and stop at Jackson's Drug on the way home for MORE candy. It WAS hard work to annoy and down-right be a total and complete nuisance all week. So, I guess we earned it. :rolleyes:

Us kid's did ALL the housework and cleaning because, well, you didn't want Mama mad. lol Innovation ALWAYS come's from the Children. :)

Reactions: Debi and Lynne
No allowance that I can remember. If there was extra money, we would get a few coins to go to the corner store for candy.

Reactions: Debi