Advice

When making tea with milk, never ever put the milk in first if you are using a tea bag in the cup! That's for making tea using a teapot.
Jeezers, where were you on Saturday Ben? I swear to Hecate I did this because my routine was hosed when my GF moved the coffee maker. I ended up with tan-ish coffee because I reversed my routine!

Jeezers, where were you on Saturday Ben? I swear to Hecate I did this because my routine was hosed when my GF moved the coffee maker. I ended up with tan-ish coffee because I reversed my routine!
I can relate. I spent a lot time in the UK during my career, a perfect place for a dedicated tea drinker. Unfortunately the tea ladies, knowing I was American, would inevitably refill my cup with coffee instead of tea. One of my British colleagues made me a nifty little placard with stand that read, "Tea only, please." Everyone got a laugh out of it, even the octogenarian tea ladies.

I can relate. I spent a lot time in the UK during my career, a perfect place for a dedicated tea drinker. Unfortunately the tea ladies, knowing I was American, would inevitably refill my cup with coffee instead of tea. One of my British colleagues made me a nifty little placard with stand that read, "Tea only, please." Everyone got a laugh out of it, even the octogenarian tea ladies.
Here’s a related question for you Duke - one which Benway, Oz, or another British subject matter might be able to answer too.

Do most UK restaurants continuously brew coffee like they do here in the USA?

For those unfamiliar with this custom, most restaurants in the USA have a glass coffee pot at the ready. In fact, most restaurants have a setup for two pots sitting side by side so that a fresh pot can be brewing while the other pot is available to serve from. [This is clearly not the Starbucks method.]

We're drifting off-topic, but from my experience, many European countries have a tradition of coffee after dinner but I think you have to look to Turkey or Italy to find another country besides the US that consumes coffee regularly at any hour.

Here’s a related question for you Duke - one which Benway, Oz, or another British subject matter might be able to answer too.

Do most UK restaurants continuously brew coffee like they do here in the USA?

For those unfamiliar with this custom, most restaurants in the USA have a glass coffee pot at the ready. In fact, most restaurants have a setup for two pots sitting side by side so that a fresh pot can be brewing while the other pot is available to serve from. [This is clearly not the Starbucks method.]
I don't remember ever seeing that. Usually they would bring coffee to the table in one of these coffee press gizmos. They were good for 2-3 cups.
220px-French_press_2020.jpg
The concept of free soft drink refills had not hit the UK or Ireland when I was over there regularly (1995-2007.) One of my USN colleagues, a serious Coke drinker, would often wind up paying £10-15 at dinner for his Coke alone. The glasses were small and had little to no ice. Ice tea was nonexistent.

Reactions: Benway
I don't remember ever seeing that. Usually they would bring coffee to the table in one of these coffee press gizmos. They were good for 2-3 cups.
View attachment 31138
The concept of free soft drink refills had not hit the UK or Ireland when I was over there regularly (1995-2007.) One of my USN colleagues, a serious Coke drinker, would often wind up paying £10-15 at dinner for his Coke alone. The glasses were small and had little to no ice. Ice tea was nonexistent.
Aha - the French press pot - of course. Thanks too for the “Abbreviated History of UK Beverages”.

What the heck is that?

From the same culture that brought us Marmite and other delicacies. The only American analogy I can think of is probably ketchup, though the color is off, lol.