ADIFO....a real flying saucer?

I'm confused. How could there NOT be one?

There have been research projects trying to design supersonic a/c with lower intensity/no sonic booms. In fact there was an article in the past few months about such a program being sponsored by NASA, the goal being to make supersonic passenger/transport aircraft more viable for commercial use.

What I don't get is what is there about the aerodynamic design of this a/c that eliminates sonic booms.

Reactions: Debi
There have been research projects trying to design supersonic a/c with lower intensity/no sonic booms. In fact there was an article in the past few months about such a program being sponsored by NASA, the goal being to make supersonic passenger/transport aircraft more viable for commercial use.

What I don't get is what is there about the aerodynamic design of this a/c that eliminates sonic booms.
OK, Duke. Educate me. What actually produces the sound? The design of the plane itself breaking the barrier? Could a different type of power drive on a plane dampen that effect?

The boom is caused by a shock wave created by an aircraft or other object travelling faster than the speed of sound. Speed of sound is not a constant, it varies as a function of altitude/air temperature. Propulsion type isn't significant, it's a aerodynamic issue. Sounds more like some kind of shock wave management/mitigation process.

The boom is caused by a shock wave created by an aircraft or other object travelling faster than the speed of sound. Speed of sound is not a constant, it varies as a function of altitude/air temperature. Propulsion type isn't significant, it's a aerodynamic issue. Sounds more like some kind of shock wave management/mitigation process.
Thank you, sir.

Reactions: ParanormalMom
This is going to mess with a lot of sky watchers lol.

Reactions: Debi