Acronyms

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

WE LIVE IN THE AGE OF ACRONYMS. LOL, OMG, ROFL...AND MANY MORE. SOMETIMES WE FIND THAT WE ARE USING SOME THAT WERE JOB SPECIFIC TO US AND OTHERS HAVE TO RUSH TO GOOGLE TO FIGURE THEM OUT!
WE RAN INTO THIS ON A THREAD RECENTLY WHEN DUKE USED A/C...AND FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW DUKE'S BACKGROUND, THE GUESSING WAS ON! LOL (AIRCRAFT WAS THE WORD YOU WERE LOOKING FOR!)
WHAT ACRONYMS HAVE YOU USED THAT MAY CONFUSE PEOPLE? WHICH ONES DO YOU USE MOST?
78f60d9bc35b51d1c3b6c0d9525b88d1.jpg

Reactions: garnetsilver
I come from the medical field, and boy, that field is full of short hand speak! Funny story I've told before, but I had a patient, Mr. Hays, who rolled into my office one day madder than a wet hen!
"My nurse just called me a son of a b*tch!" said he.
"Now, Mr. Hays, I just can't see that happening!" said me.
"She did! I'm telling you she did!" said he!
"Okay, exactly what did she say?" said me.

"She told the other nurse I was SOB and to call Bob to give me the treatment! She's out to get me!" said he.

Keeping a perfectly straight face, I explained the nurse was saying he was Short Of Breath (SOB) and to call the respiratory therapist (Bob) for a breathing treatment.

And it was in that moment I swore to not use medical speak with lay people.

As an ex-military man, I still use KISS, SSAD (spoken as 'sad'), SNAFU and FUBAR :grinning:
cant forget TARFU, comes right between SNAFU and FUBAR, which is usually followed by BOHICA, because some BLOB or FNG messed up, leaving you stranded in BFE somewhere........lol

I'm learning acronyms I never knew existed, but what's TARFU, SNAFU and FUBAR mean?

Putting them politely (you will get an idea of what banned words should fit. If not, they begin with the same letter.....):

TARFU - Things Are Really Fluffed Up (can also be, Totally And Royally Fluffed Up)
SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fluffed Up
FUBAR - Fluffed Up Beyond All Recognition

There is another stage beyond FUBAR, and that is SFUINEF (sfoo-in-ef) - So Fluffed Up It's Not Even Funny!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Lone Wolf
cant forget TARFU, comes right between SNAFU and FUBAR, which is usually followed by BOHICA, because some BLOB or FNG messed up, leaving you stranded in BFE somewhere........lol
In the UK military, they are not FNGs, they are way lower than that :tearsofjoy: They are affectionately known as NIGs. I was a NIG too for a time (about 2 years - LOL) when I entered the service. That is because I went in the 'backdoor' into regular service from being a STAB........

My favorite military acronym was one I heard used in a briefing early in my career by a grizzled old retired (SEA veteran) USN WO...REMF.

Reactions: Paulm