Accidental Meditation

Heather

She's a haunted witch
Reaction score
Accidental Meditation: You're Already Doing it

Can someone elaborate more on this? I do this very often and I never understood what it was. In the article, when it mentions driving down the road and you forget how you reach the town, I do this the most. The article refers to it as mediation, but is that what it really is? Do any of you know more about this?

Can someone elaborate more on this? I do this very often and I never understood what it was. In the article, when it mentions driving down the road and you forget how you reach the town, I do this the most. The article refers to it as mediation, but is that what it really is? Do any of you know more about this?
I do that too sometimes if I’m having a really bad day. But my shrink said it’s “dissociation”. And the way you described it, I’d call it depersonalization. Let me check out the article and I’ll tell you what I think.

Reactions: Heather
Oh, i thought it said accidental medication. That I can relate to...:D never mind

Reactions: Lynne
So this article calls letting your mind “wander” meditation. Meditation is meant to stop your mind from wandering in that moment. The way I know it, and the way I do it, is i either completely quiet my mind, or i focus on one issue with total tunnel vision, like Sherlock’s “mind palace”. But when you space out in a warm shower with the water pressure just right, and the water acting like white noise, yeah that can definitely put you in a more peaceful state of mind.

I do that too sometimes if I’m having a really bad day. But my shrink said it’s “dissociation”. And the way you described it, I’d call it depersonalization. Let me check out the article and I’ll tell you what I think.
Can you elaborate more on depersonalization? I never understood what causes me to do this or what it was. I do it at work sometimes too. I'll be standing completely still, not blinking or anything. People normally have to yell my name multiple times before I snap out of it. I normally do this when I'm upset. I've heard of disassociation playing a part in this, but I was never sure.

Can you elaborate more on depersonalization? I never understood what causes me to do this or what it was. I do it at work sometimes too. I'll be standing completely still, not blinking or anything. People normally have to yell my name multiple times before I snap out of it. I normally do this when I'm upset. I've heard of disassociation playing a part in this, but I was never sure.
Dissociation and Dissociative Disorders it just so happens that the whole forgetting how you got somewhere is one of the examples here.

**this is for information purposes only. This should not be used as a replacement or substitute for professional help or diagnosis.**

Reactions: Lynne and Heather

I used to drive two hours each way to work Heather; most of that drive was down a little two-lane road. There were so many times that I’d zone-out for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes at time. Each time that I’d snap back to attention, I would wonder what happened while I was zoning - did I hit anything, did I drift into the oncoming lane, was I beamed up and probed, etc.

I don’t advocate it as a driving technique but I lived it off and on for about two years.

My understanding is that can often be, though it could also make me believe the opposite, a very focused mental state.

My take on this is that when you do something that is repetitive or boring your brain kind of switches off, maybe to an alpha state. Your subconscious mind takes over. This is similar to a hypnotic state. I think this happens to everyone. Something to keep in mind tho is seizures can also cause a person to zone out too. I have a past co worker that would often stare off into space and be a bit unaware of it when she was having multiple petite seizures. Some psyc meds can do this too.

Reactions: Charleh