A writer's trip to Alabama's most talked-about haunted site.

Wesley Hopkins

Reaction score
I’m a professional writing major at the University of North Alabama and former editor of a regional magazine distributed in Alabama and Tennessee.

Now, until I can find a cozy library to pay me, I’m a freelance writer and editor for multiple and various online publications and organizations. I love to write, but it isn’t easy. It’s tedious, and the income is slow.

So, after I (hopefully) graduate in 2018, I’ll be applying to every library school. Yep—every one.

My dream is to spend my days in a Hogwartsesque library, still writing, but not as my sole means of survival.

But, as a freelancer, I got the opportunity to join a paranormal investigation crew on a trip to Alabama's most famous haunted house. It was great. It was a wonderful experience, but I must admit: I was scared shitless.

Here's my story. It's long. It's thorough. I'd love to hear any comments about my experience or my opinions.

A Trip to Sweetwater Mansion

I’m a professional writing major at the University of North Alabama and former editor of a regional magazine distributed in Alabama and Tennessee.

Now, until I can find a cozy library to pay me, I’m a freelance writer and editor for multiple and various online publications and organizations. I love to write, but it isn’t easy. It’s tedious, and the income is slow.

So, after I (hopefully) graduate in 2018, I’ll be applying to every library school. Yep—every one.

My dream is to spend my days in a Hogwartsesque library, still writing, but not as my sole means of survival.

But, as a freelancer, I got the opportunity to join a paranormal investigation crew on a trip to Alabama's most famous haunted house. It was great. It was a wonderful experience, but I must admit: I was scared shitless.

Here's my story. It's long. It's thorough. I'd love to hear any comments about my experience or my opinions.

A Trip to Sweetwater Mansion
Thanks for sharing your story

Reactions: Wesley Hopkins
Read your article. Well balanced and complete. Nice job. We are familier here with the techniques used by Robert and his crew. EVPS and Orbs are controversial for sure. I think the context of their happening give creedance to their value. Proof of the paranormal is elusive for sure.

Reactions: Debi
Read your article. Well balanced and complete. Nice job. We are familier here with the techniques used by Robert and his crew. EVPS and Orbs are controversial for sure. I think the context of their happening give creedance to their value. Proof of the paranormal is elusive for sure.
Thank you so much! It means a lot.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Hi Wesley! Most people who investigate the paranormal have learned to hit a healthy balance of skepticism and belief. We don't swallow everything wholesale every time we see or read something and have learned to discern carefully. We look to rule out all of the physical possibilities before we call it a paranormal event, even those of us who have had many of those "events" over the years and have experienced what we perceive to be the "real deal."

You will find that those who use youtube to make a living from it (or at least supplement their income) are much more likely to see every orb and every noise as proof of activity.
The rest of us are a bit more critical in examining the evidence. :)

Reactions: Lynne
Hi Wesley! Most people who investigate the paranormal have learned to hit a healthy balance of skepticism and belief. We don't swallow everything wholesale every time we see or read something and have learned to discern carefully. We look to rule out all of the physical possibilities before we call it a paranormal event, even those of us who have had many of those "events" over the years and have experienced what we perceive to be the "real deal."

You will find that those who use youtube to make a living from it (or at least supplement their income) are much more likely to see every orb and every noise as proof of activity.
The rest of us are a bit more critical in examining the evidence. :)

Hey! Thanks for the reply. :)

That has been my finding, so far. Robert doesn't make money from his investigations, so it's easier to trust his motives. But, I'm concerned that he WANTS to believe so badly that his judgment is swayed. You know? I'm not trying to speak of him in a negative light. Just saying some people believe what they want to believe. You've seen plenty of this, I'm sure?

Reactions: Paintman
Hey! Thanks for the reply. :)

That has been my finding, so far. Robert doesn't make money from his investigations, so it's easier to trust his motives. But, I'm concerned that he WANTS to believe so badly that his judgment is swayed. You know? I'm not trying to speak of him in a negative light. Just saying some people believe what they want to believe. You've seen plenty of this, I'm sure?
Oh yes. It's common. However, those who seek the truth will run everything through the discernment filter first, as most everyone here does. If you read some of the posts in this forum area, you might notice the first thing we do is ask people to check out other physical factors that may be the cause for their experience. We are VERY open to the fact many experiences are totally paranormal, but one really has to examine physical causes first and rule them out.

I've experienced real phenomena over my years....the 100% real deal that I've tried to tear apart from every angle. What it comes down to is once you rule out everything else, the paranormal is what is left. Science is now starting to catch up a bit in some areas and is proving what many of us have known for years....there is something out there.

Reactions: Paintman
Oh yes. It's common. However, those who seek the truth will run everything through the discernment filter first, as most everyone here does. If you read some of the posts in this forum area, you might notice the first thing we do is ask people to check out other physical factors that may be the cause for their experience. We are VERY open to the fact many experiences are totally paranormal, but one really has to examine physical causes first and rule them out.

I've experienced real phenomena over my years....the 100% real deal that I've tried to tear apart from every angle. What it comes down to is once you rule out everything else, the paranormal is what is left. Science is now starting to catch up a bit in some areas and is proving what many of us have known for years....there is something out there.

I like that: "What it comes down to is once you rule out everything else, the paranormal is what is left." Very cool. Puts perspective on a previously self-percieved ambiguous term.

Anyways, I also like the thought about the discernment filter. So, it has to be true that some folks' "discernment filters" are a little more selective than others, right? And what is that attributed to? A mixture of desire and education? And.... like a million other things? lol Yeah?

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
Wesley, great question 're: to what degree of sensitivity discernment filters are set at. Broad brush answer - from what I've seen - is just your own personality, history, outlook, and expectations. That may be a bit too over arching, and not explain too much.
I think people who come from a scientific education tend to be pretty rigorous in ruling out physical explanations. Religion plays a big role too. That offers a rule book for explanations.