A Whole Lot of Spooky

Interesting that the SF guy John Richardson had an accident on Friday 13th just after the shooting of a scene involving decapitation, and that his passenger - his assistant was decapitated.
Real life following fiction? Or do we create our own future by our thoughts?

People are getting more and more interested in the odd things that happen or are reported and seen. Ghost hunters, Sasquatch hunters, Monster hunters, UFO investigators, Lost places like Atlantis, Aliens, Cryptids. The list is endless and more are on the way. Even Ozzie Osborn is getting into the action.

I think that all of this is just a part of the natural cycles that TV has always had. Westerns, Detective Shows, Police shows. Any time someone comes up with something new and it gets great ratings you can bet that everyone else is going to jump on that wagon.

I feel that that is the reason that there are so many of these shows. The more interesting thing though is WHY are these shows doing so well even though they are getting as common as sand. I think that it really got a big start with the 12-21-12 Mayan end of the world thing and once started it slowly, at first, snowballed.

People were, Before that, stirred up by the 911 attack and the 2 middle east wars. The generation that is now in their 40s were not raised in a time of constant war like the 2 or 3 generations born before that. For most of my life, there have been either wars, Korea, Vietnam, and the many smaller actions like Grenada, Panama, the Middle East wars... or the cold war when we never really knew when the bombs would start to fall.

I remember being asked one time what I wanted to do when I grew up. I told them that if I didn't get killed in Vietnam that I wanted to work for a few years and then try to go to college for an aeronautical engineering degree. I had seen to many of my friend's big brothers come home in a box or so messed up that their life was basically over. I knew 4 that came home and then committed suicide.

That was just the world we lived in. Our parents were the WW2 generation and they raised us with a different sort of life view. They KNEW that life can be a rough and harsh thing. My Mom's first Husband died on Iwo Jima, there wasn't even a body to send home. TV was a constant series of shows that were filled with violence. The westerns, all the many WW2 war movies, and TV shows. I think that I got my first toy gun when I was about 5 or 6 and never was without one from then on. We played Cowboys and Indians and War all the time.

Younger people these days just don't have the same world view that my generation did. They think that peace is the normal thing. I KNOW better. The violence that has been ongoing has pushed them into new paths. Religion has suffered a lot of setbacks and I think that a lot of people are looking for other things to believe in. Spiritualism thrived from the 1840s to the 1920s. Things with people often come in cycles.

The other thing now is that there are more than 3 or 4 networks. Cable and Dish TVs has allowed things to be offered to smaller groups and to their amazement there were a LOT of people out there like us here on this board that have always had things in our life that were strange but most of us didn't have anybody to talk with about it. I remember how exciting it was when the shows about these things first came on. Then the internet finally made it so we didn't have to hide it and we could find each other.

The younger people have watched these shows for most of their life. Those of us that were born with rather odd abilities have come out of the closet now and that is another reason why there are so many shows.

People need something to believe in. There are more of us that KNOW that a lot of these things are real than anyone ever imagined. What used to be a sort of dirty secret is now right out there in the open. My Mom always got angry if I said anything about knowing things that had not yet happened. It was as if I was doing something bad so I nearly never admitted to any of this until I was about 40.

Sorry for another long-winded wandering missive from Dan

Reactions: Debi
What used to be a sort of dirty secret is now right out there in the open. My Mom always got angry if I said anything about knowing things that had not yet happened. It was as if I was doing something bad
You explained that very well, and indeed, I was one cautioned to not "tell" others about my gifts. And this was from my dad who was extremely gifted and knew keeping it quiet would protect me in that time period. His many predictions have now come true as well, but he kept them quiet himself and shared only with others who would "understand."

We've come a long way, baby, but there is still more road to go for no raised eyebrows.