A recent event....

mark1981

Reaction score
Recently my wife, sister in law and I went on a 'ghost hunt' at Charlton House, London. Now before I get started I should add that I am 50/50 when it comes to the paranormal. I want to believe and some things I know are unexplained. But I want to see it for myself to know that it is real. My missus on the other hand was almost 100% sceptic.

Anyway, the evening started with a big vigil before we broke off into smaller groups. There were five in my sub group. We started with a Ouija board in the attic and got no activity at all. So we moved into a room directly below the attic.

We set the board up on a large wooden table. I pulled the heavy curtains. Now the one thing I didn't tell anyone whilst in this room was that as soon as we walked in I got a really heavy, oppressive feeling on me. It was like a real heavy pressure on my shoulders. It was like I was invading on someones privacy and they were telling me I shouldn't be in that room.

The room itself was being renovated and there were builders bits and pieces lying around. The table had clearly been moved back from its original spot in the room. Anyway, we got the tumbler moving really slowly. It was gradually moving towards goodbye after the first question which was is there anyone in the room with us. So I asked for whoever was with us to give us a sign to show they are there. What happened next will stay with me for a long time....there was an almighty crash come from under the table. It was like someone had gone under the table and thumped it with all their strength from below. The items on the table went flying and the table collapsed. All five of us were in bits. My wife and sister in law screamed out.

We left the room straight after this. I went back into the same room an hour later to take some pictures and I did not get that same oppressive feeling.

Later that night I went into the library area to take some pictures and captured something I can not explain. I was at one end of the room. There was no one at the other end. The room was in complete darkness so I could not see anything other than through the flash on my camera. So I started to snap away.

I captured a white mist like figure move along the opposite end of the room. To me it looks like an old fashioned ladies dress. The weird thing was at the same time I asked for a sign by tapping on the piano at that and of the room and I got the response I asked for.

After a five hour event I left with more questions than answers. I am still 50/50 as I want to try and find answers for what I experienced but I am leaving an open mind.

We started with a Ouija board in the attic and got no activity at all.
Hi Mark. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the ParaNormal Forum. If you are lucky, this is all you get. Ouija is not something that members on this forum use or recommend.

Interesting story. Welcome to the forum mark. Are you gonna try abother ghost hunt In the future?

Hi Mark. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the ParaNormal Forum. If you are lucky, this is all you get. Ouija is not something that members on this forum use or recommend.

I am aware that some people and cultures see Ouija as a way of summoning up evil spirits or some kind of portal. I am also aware that Hollywood as a lot to answer for when it comes to the reputation. Having done a little research, and I am no scholar on the subject, but ouija boards have been used in the past to teach children to spell and count. Surely they cant be that bad if they were used as a learning aid by teachers?

I am not disputing what others have seen, heard or experienced with Ouija boards and I would love to hear others experiences.

Interesting story. Welcome to the forum mark. Are you gonna try abother ghost hunt In the future?

Thank you very much.

Yes I am on one in three weeks time and I am going back to Charlton House in September.

Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum. And here I go again...put the Ouija board down and back away, please. I can tell you haven't been trained in it's use, and the things are tools, not toys, that require a strong person to control. I have been trained and won't touch them anymore. If you are going to ask for a sign from something, much worse can happen when you use an open door policy of asking "anything" to respond. It's like opening your front door and saying "Hi World! Everbody can come on it! Bring your guns, axes, knives if you're so inclined to attack me! No problems! The rest of you come on in for pizza and a bit of chat, too.."

You need to "screen" who you're letting in that door and be specific on who is allowed in. And when you're done, you better kick them out and close the door behind you or they may start living with you.

Reactions: Lynne and Charleh
I agree with debi. Also I think you should do a little more studying before jumping to the next house. A lot of people treat this like a game when these spirits involved are very real and should be respected, otherwise you can expect reactions like the one you had using the ouija board.

I’m sure you have the potential to be pretty good at what you’re doing, but personally I think for now you should stick to studying, and keeping your sheilds up. We have no problem teaching you what we know btw.

And one more thing, we don’t bite, promise :D we just don’t like ouija boards.

I appreciate your words of guidance and fully understand that some of you may have had bad experiences with them. But I do think I will carry on with what I am doing. Only one way to find out if it is all real or not and that is to keep testing it to either corroborate or debunk it all!

Just so you are all aware, I am not going to discredit what others have seen, felt or heard. I have received some grief in other forums for not being a 100% believer and stating that I am happy to prove or disprove all things paranormal, or at least attempt to.

My theory is that there must be an explanation to everything and when I have exhausted all avenues of scientific and logical approach and it still remains unexplained then it must be real!

I will use Ouija boards again and if I am swept away by some evil entity then so be it. If, however, has as happened this time, there are some scary bangs and a broken table then so be it.

Last edited:
I appreciate your words of guidance and fully understand that some of you may have had bad experiences with them. But I do think I will carry on with what I am doing. Only one way to find out if it is all real or not and that is to keep testing it to either corroborate or debunk it all!

Just so you are all aware, I am not going to discredit what others have seen, felt or heard. I have received some grief in other forums for not being a 100% believer and stating that I am happy to prove or disprove all things paranormal, or at least attempt to.

My theory is that there must be an explanation to everything and when I have exhausted all avenues of scientific and logical approach and it still remains unexplained then it must be real!

I will use Ouija boards again and if I am swept away by some evil entity then so be it. If, however, has as happened this time, there are some scary bangs and a broken table then so be it.
A healthy dose of skepticism is actually a good thing in the paranormal community. I’m a demonologist and the reality is I’ve probably only seen a few legit demonic oppressions and whatnot. Again, don’t be shamed for being skeptical.

Well, I guess since your fully aware of the risks of using the board, it’s no different from me smoking (in the sense I know what I’m doing to myself) so have at her bud.

D2449415-5589-4D58-9950-842E674E2F25.png
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. I found a pic of that house so thought I’d share it for everyone to see.
As for the activity, no doubt you expierenced a contact of something. It obviously didn’t like the use of the board since it was sent flying. If it was a haunting of someone from the 1600’s this type of occult contact would have been forbidden in most communities.

I like others here have had reprocussions from using a Oujia board. I picked up an attachment through my youth and it was scary. Throwing caution to the wind is ok until you become plagued with problems.

Please keep us posted on future investigations tho. We will share in it with you.