A Matter of Style

08298b724bbb7a4711e263d53fb93391.jpg
I'm just a run-of-the-mill guy, and I am interested but.....

Never judge a book by it's cover! Vincent Price was actually a very nice man.

Our best investigators are both 5'-2" but have auras you can read by. They are old souls, vastly more spiritually powerful than I. Both women.

I don’t get involved with investigations. But I do appreciate those who do it correctly and with respect. Personally I won’t risk opening a door I can’t close. I did that once and learned a hard lesson. I agree with Debi on these issues.

I don't think our low-key approach opens any doors, or if it does, not far. Our Mission Statement is in my Profile, it outlines what we do and what we don't do. With my wife's empathic ability, we even have a bit of "radar". If she ever picks up a really bad emotion when we drive up or even enter the building, we agreed that we wouldn't investigate. It hasn't happened yet.

That said, I was raised a Catholic though I'm non-practicing since age 14. But our team does have a case with holy water, a Bible, crucifix, sage, palo santo, blessed St. Benedict medals, a rosary and two blessed candles. We have never had to break it out, never even thought about breaking it out, hope I never have to. But it's there. If a former Altar Boy has to face-off with something dark, armed with but a box of holy trinkets, I'm ready for it. And my name isn't even Winchester.

I'm glad to see that the "party" approach doesn't get much, if any, support. I haven't liked those big whatever-they-are (they certainly aren't investigations as I understand them) since first getting my toes wet in this field. I've only been exposed to it for the last eleven years, was in my 50's when my wife dragged me in. A co-worker some 30 years ago tried to get me interested in ghost hunting, but back then I had no desire.

Maybe I have the same zeal usually associated with religious converts. I remember in my church going days growing up, nobody wanted to invite new converts over for dinner, because all they wanted to talk about was... church, lol.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Paint, with my luck, the first time we face something really dark, It will be probably be something like Cthulhu, and be impervious to conventional religious artifacts and prayer!

Reactions: Debi
Paint, with my luck, the first time we face something really dark, It will be probably be something like Cthulhu, and be impervious to conventional religious artifacts and prayer!
In that case, I use what I call a scattershot technique where I borrow from other religions; whatever resonates with me.

I found another local group with a web presence but they seem to have been inactive for several years, not just a pandemic pause.

I'm beginning to see a pattern with paranormal teams. Two types are becoming apparent.

Some teams are composed of young people who start out strong but fade with time, as some members have families and careers that pull them away from elective activities or move them out of the area. The teams slowly shrink as members drop-off faster than new ones are added, or the leaders themselves are forced to set it aside for real-life issues.

The other type is older people, middle-aged to retirees, empty-nesters with time on their hands and not so concerned with making one's mark in the world anymore. This is my wife and I, lol.

In both cases, teams are held together by a single individual or close-knit group of friends or family. Losing a founder or co-founder sometimes means the end of that team.

The younger crowd wants to investigate everything in sight and do it NOW. I think some burn out quickly or realize that it's more work than fun, much of the time. People getting into it on a lark are the first to drop out, when they find out that for every hour spent on-site, there are several hours of preparation, as well as follow-up afterwards which can also run into days. Just setting up equipment and putting it away can quickly separate the dedicated investigator from the itinerant thrill seeker. Nobody ever wants to help put equipment away (properly) after having stayed up all night.

Every group has it's own dynamic. It's going to be interesting when we run our first training session next month, getting folks back into the swing of things and bringing on a newbie. I'm still trying to find someone who can help me out with AV Tech duties.

Last edited:
Utah, your post reminds me of newcomers to this site. I notice that there are lots of people who come in with a problem or a story, then poof! They are gone. Sometimes they sound interesting and I hope to learn more about them, but apparently they are looking for something we don't have, or maybe they get bored; I just don't know.

Reactions: GoneWestUtah