A Matter of Style

It happens in astronomy as well. People think it will be fun to look through a telescope, only to discover that the telescope requires training to use effectively, and one has to learn the sky to get the most out of it. It requires study and practice.

Young people are tending to shy away from anything that doesn't involve staring at their phones and instant gratification.

I don't think our low-key approach opens any doors, or if it does, not far. Our Mission Statement is in my Profile, it outlines what we do and what we don't do. With my wife's empathic ability, we even have a bit of "radar". If she ever picks up a really bad emotion when we drive up or even enter the building, we agreed that we wouldn't investigate. It hasn't happened yet.

That said, I was raised a Catholic though I'm non-practicing since age 14. But our team does have a case with holy water, a Bible, crucifix, sage, palo santo, blessed St. Benedict medals, a rosary and two blessed candles. We have never had to break it out, never even thought about breaking it out, hope I never have to. But it's there. If a former Altar Boy has to face-off with something dark, armed with but a box of holy trinkets, I'm ready for it. And my name isn't even Winchester.

I'm glad to see that the "party" approach doesn't get much, if any, support. I haven't liked those big whatever-they-are (they certainly aren't investigations as I understand them) since first getting my toes wet in this field. I've only been exposed to it for the last eleven years, was in my 50's when my wife dragged me in. A co-worker some 30 years ago tried to get me interested in ghost hunting, but back then I had no desire.

Maybe I have the same zeal usually associated with religious converts. I remember in my church going days growing up, nobody wanted to invite new converts over for dinner, because all they wanted to talk about was... church, lol.
I meant no disrespect to those who do this work. I just won’t risk it on a personal level. Once someone has an encounter with a neg experience it makes you walk quieter through the world.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I meant no disrespect to those who do this work. I just won’t risk it on a personal level. Once someone has an encounter with a neg experience it makes you walk quieter through the world.
I agree. While the idea of paranormal investigation intrigues me, I don't have enough confidence that I can protect against unwanted energies. But I do admire those who do this work! There is much out there that isn't explainable, and I am always curious, and wanting to learn about it!

Reactions: Lynne
Utah, your post reminds me of newcomers to this site. I notice that there are lots of people who come in with a problem or a story, then poof! They are gone. Sometimes they sound interesting and I hope to learn more about them, but apparently they are looking for something we don't have, or maybe they get bored; I just don't know.
I think some come for real help or explanations. Once they get what they need they’re off. They obviously were never interested in the subject but just needed answers. The other type want to get attention or promote something. When they learn that Debi has their number they quickly exit the place. There are a few that stick and they become the core family here. I think we have an enjoyable group. I honestly would miss any one of you that left.

I think some come for real help or explanations. Once they get what they need they’re off. They obviously were never interested in the subject but just needed answers. The other type want to get attention or promote something. When they learn that Debi has their number they quickly exit the place. There are a few that stick and they become the core family here. I think we have an enjoyable group. I honestly would miss any one of you that left.
That explains a lot! And, I would sorely miss any of this core group. There are some that were here when I joined, that have since then left, and I often wonder where they are and how they are getting along.

I agree. While the idea of paranormal investigation intrigues me, I don't have enough confidence that I can protect against unwanted energies. But I do admire those who do this work! There is much out there that isn't explainable, and I am always curious, and wanting to learn about it!
Right. The new people don’t know what did it for me. I will give a brief explanation. As a teenager I got involved with a church member who drew a few of us teens into dabbling. We used the Oujia board and did seances. This lead to an attachment that caused some scary activity in my home for many years.

• Wow
That explains a lot! And, I would sorely miss any of this core group. There are some that were here when I joined, that have since then left, and I often wonder where they are and how they are getting along.
Yes there are 4 that have caused much heartache for me. Three went all the way back to when Debi took over this forum for Arts big return to radio. Art coming back was EVERYTHING for his fans. I learned to work the Internet and this forum just for that reason. So I could be involved in the show. The core group all shared the same passion! It is sad when life brings change. It is hard to accept but change also brings good things like new members like you who’ve decided to STICK!

Right. The new people don’t know what did it for me. I will give a brief explanation. As a teenager I got involved with a church member who drew a few of us teens into dabbling. We used the Oujia board and did seances. This lead to an attachment that caused some scary activity in my home for many years.
My siblings and I dabbled with a Oujia board too. But my family life was so chaotic that I can't tell if it got any worse when we used the board, or if it was just business as usual, lol.

Reactions: Lynne

No disrespect taken, Lynne, no worries. In fact I completely understand.

Years ago, when my wife was still "grooming" me for this, I did the "flashlight trick", the method Amy Bruni is so fond of using for communicating with spirits. I was alone in the living room, my wife was somewhere else in the house. Well, the flashlights responded to a couple of questions I put out there, pretty much on-command. I immediately grabbed the flashlight, turned it off hard, and ran to find my wife. I told her what I did and said "I am NEVER doing that again!".

Well, that was then, this is now.

I do remember saying once to a spirit I wasn't sure of, that once I die, all bets are off and we will be on a more level playing field. I may be way out of my league if facing something ancient and evil, but it won't have an easy victory trying to subdue me, it will have to really work at it. Am I being naïve? Perhaps.

But the payoffs of investigating have been enormous. What started as an activity for my disabled wife has turned into another major interest and not only has it given her much to focus on, instead of her own issues, but it's brought us together in a collaborative way. She is my second wife, we had no children together (other than a Pug, lol), so this has helped fill the common-interest void.

No disrespect taken, Lynne, no worries. In fact I completely understand.

Years ago, when my wife was still "grooming" me for this, I did the "flashlight trick", the method Amy Bruni is so fond of using for communicating with spirits. I was alone in the living room, my wife was somewhere else in the house. Well, the flashlights responded to a couple of questions I put out there, pretty much on-command. I immediately grabbed the flashlight, turned it off hard, and ran to find my wife. I told her what I did and said "I am NEVER doing that again!".

Well, that was then, this is now.

I do remember saying once to a spirit I wasn't sure of, that once I die, all bets are off and we will be on a more level playing field. I may be way out of my league if facing something ancient and evil, but it won't have an easy victory trying to subdue me, it will have to really work at it. Am I being naïve? Perhaps.

But the payoffs of investigating have been enormous. What started as an activity for my disabled wife has turned into another major interest and not only has it given her much to focus on, instead of her own issues, but it's brought us together in a collaborative way. She is my second wife, we had no children together (other than a Pug, lol), so this has helped fill the common-interest void.
You are on an adventure together!