A Matter of Style

GoneWestUtah

Currently Active on planet Earth
Reaction score
With pandemic restrictions easing in some communities, I see that at least one other local investigative group in my neck of the woods is stirring again. This group is one of those "social clubs" that host parties at known haunted restaurants and other locations, with a ghost hunt afterwards. Of course they charge an entry fee of anywhere from $20 to $40 and the hunt itself is only two or three hours.

I have watched their "hunt" videos and am disturbed at what I see. Roomfuls of people all waiving their various gadgets around, everyone talking at once. It's not a real investigation, it's an investigation-themed party. Some of the "evidence" they showed for the camera was pretty thin soup, in my opinion. Too much contamination.
Our little team prefers a low-key approach, no unnecessary noise, and a respectful attitude is expected from our members. We fit the number of team members to the size of the venue, we don't tag investigations onto a dinner (though breakfast afterwards is a tradition, lol) or other activities that same evening.

I have nothing against paranormal-themed social clubs, but I think that these party-style investigations are certainly departing from any claim of scientific rigor, not that the scientific method is always strictly adhered-to during investigations, but doing one's best to stay on the path always yields better data, from my experience. Data contamination is always present and the more there is, the harder it is to find the evidence buried in it.

Now, the organization I'm referring to has some excellent good traits; they do perform public-service cleanups of old graveyards and monuments, usually in return for permission to investigate. You can't fault that at all, public service is always laudable.

I think what drives some of these is the desire to monetize the paranormal, make money from it. That's OK, but I would caution people that if not done right, they risk giving the industry a black eye, as well as possibly ruining some locations for future investigators.

Two questions for all of you:

1. What is your opinion on investigative styles? Large vs. small, provoking vs. passive, social vs. serious, etc.

2. Does the social club investigation really reflect the values of the paranormal community-at-large?

Last edited:

1. What is your opinion on investigative styles? Large vs. small, provoking vs. passive, social vs. serious, etc.

2. Does the social club investigation really reflect the values of the paranormal community-at-large?
I prefer the small, passive type, because who knows what you may stir up if not being careful and observant? And, I would hope that the social club investigation does not reflect the values of the paranormal community, because it seems rather immature and irresponsible, at best.

With pandemic restrictions easing in some communities, I see that at least one other local investigative group in my neck of the woods is stirring again. This group is one of those "social clubs" that host parties at known haunted restaurants and other locations, with a ghost hunt afterwards. Of course they charge an entry fee of anywhere from $20 to $40 and the hunt itself is only two or three hours.

I have watched their "hunt" videos and am disturbed at what I see. Roomfuls of people all waiving their various gadgets around, everyone talking at once. It's not a real investigation, it's an investigation-themed party. Some of the "evidence" they showed for the camera was pretty thin soup, in my opinion. Too much contamination.
Our little team prefers a low-key approach, no unnecessary noise, and a respectful attitude is expected from our members. We fit the number of team members to the size of the venue, we don't tag investigations onto a dinner (though breakfast afterwards is a tradition, lol) or other activities that same evening.

I have nothing against paranormal-themed social clubs, but I think that these party-style investigations are certainly departing from any claim of scientific rigor, not that the scientific method is always strictly adhered-to during investigations, but doing one's best to stay on the path always yields better data, from my experience. Data contamination is always present and the more there is, the harder it is to find the evidence buried in it.

Now, the organization I'm referring to has some excellent good traits; they do perform public-service cleanups of old graveyards and monuments, usually in return for permission to investigate. You can't fault that at all, public service is always laudable.

I think what drives some of these is the desire to monetize the paranormal, make money from it. That's OK, but I would caution people that if not done right, they risk giving the industry a black eye, as well as possibly ruining some locations for future investigators.

Addressing the second first, I believe it's disrespectful for the party type investigations. And possibly dangerous as well for those who have no clue what they may be "calling in" during these things. IMO, these types of events have their place only to help people learn about the paranormal IF they are conducted with oversite of someone trained and are never held in a persons home.

Investigative styles will always vary, but I am not a fan of the provoking style. People often ask me to recommend a group to investigate a haunting. My guidelines to them are pick someone who is coming to help, not just to find evidence. Someone who is willing to follow through with the family and help stop the activity or give direction on who might be able to help them if they can't. Every team should have a "go to" clergy member willing to assist if needed after the investigation. If all the team does is post youtube videos of their "finds", find another team!

If the team is simply investigating empty buildings for "evidence", they don't need that kind of team, but for homes I believe they do.

Just speaking for our group, we do not have anything to do with hauntings that are classed or known as "evil".

I've never even found a location with terrified residents, I don't know where the TV shows find them. I think the majority of them are fake, the families contact the producers just to get on TV. I also think that a large percentage of such "bad" hauntings are really evidence of mental illness on the part of one or more residents. It can happen to the best of us.

There are lots of haunted houses, of that there's no doubt, we've investigated some ourselves. But the number of those with residents who feel they are actually in danger or frightened are vanishingly small- by their own admission.

I'm more concerned with investigators who have no training in social work or psychology. Often an untrained or poorly-trained investigator will put fear into a resident's mind or build on an unsubstantiated fear simply because they don't know what they are doing, or just want to be involved in a cleansing or exorcism and seem like a big-time spiritual authority. Of all the investigators I've met, a disappointingly small percentage really know how to even explain to clients what they are doing. Too many people buy a voice recorder, NV camera and K2 meter, and think they are instant ghost hunters. They just repeat what they heard on Ghost Hunters on TV.

Are there hauntings that require spiritual cleansing? Undoubtedly yes, but I haven't found one yet. I'm not going to carry the local rabbi's, priest's, or shaman's card in my wallet. By recommending something that I myself am not positive about, I would be doing the homeowners a disservice.

Our policy, though we've never had to invoke it, is that if we feel that there is something there that is beyond our experience to deal with, we advise them to contact an authority in whatever religion or spiritual beliefs they follow. But I will never tell anyone that they need a specific procedure. Sage, salt, blessing, whatever... that's for a spiritual leader to determine, not an investigator. That said, I would entertain the idea of working with one, but only if the circumstances were right. It would be interesting to witness.

Just speaking for our group, we do not have anything to do with hauntings that are classed or known as "evil".

I've never even found a location with terrified residents, I don't know where the TV shows find them. I think the majority of them are fake, the families contact the producers just to get on TV. I also think that a large percentage of such "bad" hauntings are really evidence of mental illness on the part of one or more residents. It can happen to the best of us.

There are lots of haunted houses, of that there's no doubt, we've investigated some ourselves. But the number of those with residents who feel they are actually in danger or frightened are vanishingly small- by their own admission.

I'm more concerned with investigators who have no training in social work or psychology. Often an untrained or poorly-trained investigator will put fear into a resident's mind or build on an unsubstantiated fear simply because they don't know what they are doing, or just want to be involved in a cleansing or exorcism and seem like a big-time spiritual authority. Of all the investigators I've met, a disappointingly small percentage really know how to even explain to clients what they are doing. Too many people buy a voice recorder, NV camera and K2 meter, and think they are instant ghost hunters. They just repeat what they heard on Ghost Hunters on TV.

Are there hauntings that require spiritual cleansing? Undoubtedly yes, but I haven't found one yet. I'm not going to carry the local rabbi's, priest's, or shaman's card in my wallet. By recommending something that I myself am not positive about, I would be doing the homeowners a disservice.

Our policy, though we've never had to invoke it, is that if we feel that there is something there that is beyond our experience to deal with, we advise them to contact an authority in whatever religion or spiritual beliefs they follow. But I will never tell anyone that they need a specific procedure. Sage, salt, blessing, whatever... that's for a spiritual leader to determine, not an investigator. That said, I would entertain the idea of working with one, but only if the circumstances were right. It would be interesting to witness.
My normal recommendations can be found here and include "if you feel you have a negative entity, contact clergy". I don't specify which one and we always recommend working within the member's own religious belief system. A team doesn't have to have clergy as part of their team, but I also know that having someone a client can be referred to for further assistance can be helpful if you run into a difficult case. My former team used a local, willing to help non-denominational minister who was able to provide other clergy contacts if the client requested.

One of the reasons we "Don't feed the Demons" here is because I agree with you on people being easily swayed by talk that something is evil, although I do believe in demons and evil! However, these cases are not the norm.

I don't even like group training. We bring in new people one at a time and train them on actual investigations. That weeds-out the wannabes quickly. You find out that they aren't so brave if not surrounded by two dozen talking people. We only have two on our team who aren't family members right now, one of them is provisional. He hasn't had his trial-by-darkness yet.

I was always intrigued by the concept of paranormal investigation, but due to my sponge like Empath issues, it would not be a good idea!

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
I don't even like group training. We bring in new people one at a time and train them on actual investigations. That weeds-out the wannabes quickly. You find out that they aren't so brave if not surrounded by two dozen talking people. We only have two on our team who aren't family members right now, one of them is provisional. He hasn't had his trial-by-darkness yet.
That's an excellent way to add to the team.

I was always intrigued by the concept of paranormal investigation, but due to my sponge like Empath issues, it would not be a good idea!

There's hope. My wife is an Empath sensitive. If I'm really feeling a strong emotion, she senses it and I have to stay away from her or she will be overwhelmed- even some of my good feelings are too strong for her. So-far, she hasn't become incapacitated on an investigation and hasn't seen it as a handicap. She does pick up on the "mood" of a location or it's spiritual inhabitants, if I'm expressing that correctly.

There's hope. My wife is an Empath sensitive. If I'm really feeling a strong emotion, she senses it and I have to stay away from her or she will be overwhelmed- even some of my good feelings are too strong for her. So-far, she hasn't become incapacitated on an investigation and hasn't seen it as a handicap. She does pick up on the "mood" of a location or it's spiritual inhabitants, if I'm expressing that correctly.
Oh, that is encouraging! I even pick up emotions from a distance! Two days ago I was bawling my eyes out for no reason at all, then realized that I was picking up on my new cat's former owner. I had been told by the shelter people that she would be very emotional when she parted with Penny, as she had raised Penny from a babyhood, and that they had formed a tight attachment. It felt like grief, and I finally remembered to ground myself.