A Great Little Movie.....

three music related movies i always watch when i run across them are, "dazed and confused" (well, not music based but great music to go along with the times, "almost famous" great music and era type movie. these two have a great back story also. and "rock of ages", a more modern movie that is 80's music based with the actors doing the vocals, a good story/musical, overall.
A couple other movies i always stop to watch are "office space" hilarious movie, and "serendipity" a rom-com, but it is well done about fate versus chance or choice.. just a cute story

This is a great topic. It's also kind of fun to see what qualifies as being a "big" movie to others. There are quite a few low budget indie movies that wind up being huge, like Clerks, Memento or Reservoir Dogs but some people act like they are still underground movies. On the other hand there are big studio films with higher budgets and well known actors like Fallen (Denzel Washington, John Goodman), Shattered Glass (Hayden Christiansen, Hank Azaria,Steve Zahn, Chloe Sevigny), Enemy Mine (Louis Gossett Jr, Dennis Quaid) or Matchstick Men (Nic Cage, Alison Lohman, Sam Rockwell) that got overlooked and mostly forgotten.

But for really good, low budget movies I'm going to list:

The Wrestler. Mickey Rourke plays an old WWF style wrestler who was once a household name but now is a few decades past his prime, living in a trailer park and struggling to patch up the broken relationship with his daughter. This movie has the biggest budget from my list and does have some star power with both Rourke and Marisa Tomei. However it has that rough, low budget feel, like the camera man is one guy running around rather than a big film crew.

Moon. I call this one Low SciFi because it has SciFi elements but they are grounded, plausible elements. For example, the Sun produces energy through fission, converting hydrogen atoms into helium atoms that get pushed out into space in what's referred to as Solar Winds. This means that the surface of the Moon is coated with millions of years of solar helium. The movie Moon stars Sam Rockwell as the sole person running a lunar helium mining operation nearing the end of his 3 year tour and looking forward to handing the job over to the next guy and going home to see his family. It's very much a character driven story that is hard to really talk people about without going into spoilers territory.

Primer. Another SciFi story that's very small and relys on character more than effects. I believe the entire budget for this movie was about what you'd spend on a used Honda. It's about a group of guys building a machine in their garage to try and solve certain engineering challenges but end up accidentally discovering time travel. The story is done very well and they do a good job in addressing time paradoxes and the rules of how their version of time travel works.

I enjoyed Moon as well. Thought it decent though eventually the ending became predictable, which didn't take away from the movie as a whole. Another of my more goofy favorites is Grosse Pointe Blank. Typical John Cusack movie.

Saw "Millions" in the UK years ago, I've never talked to anyone here in the US has even heard of it. Great movie, let's us see the world through the eyes of a loving, kind hearted child.

Stevedog, The Wrestler is fantastic ! And you're right because it had big stars like Mickey Rourke and Marissa Tormei. It's low budget feel I think tries to reflect that level of wrestling that Mickey's character found himself in.

Living in a bad house and driving a bad van to a bad arena - and wrecking his already broken body again - for low pay.

Loved the scene when he is working at the deli counter. Showed there was still signs of life in him, and he was genuine in trying to reconcile with his daughter. And foreshadowed what kind of a beast in the ring he could be again.

I enjoyed Moon as well. Thought it decent though eventually the ending became predictable, which didn't take away from the movie as a whole. Another of my more goofy favorites is Grosse Pointe Blank. Typical John Cusack movie.
Yeah, by the end of Moon there was really only 2 viable ways it could end from a story and character development standpoint. The ending they chose was the more emotionally satisfying one. It could have ended with certain things remaining secret, which could have made for a better movie overall but would also be unfufilling for most of the audience.

Reactions: Selectric
Stevedog, The Wrestler is fantastic ! And you're right because it had big stars like Mickey Rourke and Marissa Tormei. It's low budget feel I think tries to reflect that level of wrestling that Mickey's character found himself in.

Living in a bad house and driving a bad van to a bad arena - and wrecking his already broken body again - for low pay.

Loved the scene when he is working at the deli counter. Showed there was still signs of life in him, and he was genuine in trying to reconcile with his daughter. And foreshadowed what kind of a beast in the ring he could be again.
One aspect i really like is that I've seen the movie several times and still haven't made up my mind about whether or not I like the character Randy "The Ram" Robinson. As and underdog/comeback/redemption arc story I am rooting for him. I see what his life has been and genuinely feel that he has suffered enough, learned enough and grown enough as a human being to deserve that second chance. Then at other times I'm yelling at the screen at just how stupid and selfish he's being.