A Doctor's Sword

Selectric

Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
I was searching for a doc i haven't seen yet and came across this. I honestly didn't know where to post this as i think it was one of the most horrific and yet human things i have seen in a long time. This man enlists and ends up in WWII. Between getting captured and beaten, starved, surviving a torpedo attack, escaping execution upon being 'rescued' after torpedo attack, surviving Nagasaki and saving a Japanese officer and countless others during this 3yr+ ordeal...wow. A doctor's oath goes beyond anything even during times of war. In the end, an act of compassion compels an officer to do something that breaks all tradition and gives us a glimpse that home, faith and yes, luck can carry us out of anything.

Reactions: Paulm and Debi
I was searching for a doc i haven't seen yet and came across this. I honestly didn't know where to post this as i think it was one of the most horrific and yet human things i have seen in a long time. This man enlists and ends up in WWII. Between getting captured and beaten, starved, surviving a torpedo attack, escaping execution upon being 'rescued' after torpedo attack, surviving Nagasaki and saving a Japanese officer and countless others during this 3yr+ ordeal...wow. A doctor's oath goes beyond anything even during times of war. In the end, an act of compassion compels an officer to do something that breaks all tradition and gives us a glimpse that home, faith and yes, luck can carry us out of anything.
Is this a true story? Sounds like a good one, but I have to be in the right emotional mood to watch these types of movies. I remember watching "War Horse", and it took me a month to get that movie out of my mind. One of the best war films I've ever seen that depicted the true deprivation and destruction of the war. The Horse was a real life survivor but actually acted as the vehicle to take you through the war. A great film if you haven't seen it. 3 hours long so prepare with a box of tissues and lots of beverages. The movie was so powerful I will never forget it and will never watch it again.

Reactions: Selectric
Is this a true story? Sounds like a good one, but I have to be in the right emotional mood to watch these types of movies. I remember watching "War Horse", and it took me a month to get that movie out of my mind. One of the best war films I've ever seen that depicted the true deprivation and destruction of the war. The Horse was a real life survivor but actually acted as the vehicle to take you through the war. A great film if you haven't seen it. 3 hours long so prepare with a box of tissues and lots of beverages. The movie was so powerful I will never forget it and will never watch it again.
Yes is an absolute true story.

Reactions: Lynne
this sounds like a good story
We've had bad days. This guy had a bad three years and then some. Just watching this doc for his story, is the reason i posted. I felt this man needed to be recognized. The ending (of the doc) imo fizzled, but that in no way diminishes what he went through nor his acts of bravery and compassion.

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm
We've had bad days. This guy had a bad three years and then some. Just watching this doc for his story, is the reason i posted. I felt this man needed to be recognized. The ending (of the doc) imo fizzled, but that in no way diminishes what he went through nor his acts of bravery and compassion.
I will give it a watch, sounds like a good documentary / story, and the animation instead of trying with real people looks good. i dont watch many "war movies", (not for any reason, just that they end up usually glamorizing war. and failing to express the emotions involved. ) this looks like a documentary that may be well done, i wonder if he has his story in book form?

Reactions: Selectric
I will give it a watch, sounds like a good documentary / story, and the animation instead of trying with real people looks good. i dont watch many "war movies", (not for any reason, just that they end up usually glamorizing war. and failing to express the emotions involved. ) this looks like a documentary that may be well done, i wonder if he has his story in book form?
War definitely is not glamorized in this. It is told using the father's notes/memoirs and an interview he done before he passed away.

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm