A cautionary tale

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Today, I watched an episode of Dr. Phil. Don't blame me....hubs had it on. However, it concerned an exorcism. Being familiar with the topic, and knowing that demons do exist and can often lead to the need for clergy intervention, I watched. As soon as I saw who the Exorcist was, I knew it would paint the whole thing a bad shade of awful.

Here at the forum, we recommend people get clergy involved immediately when demons are discussed. We are not able to help those who have need of this level of intervention. One thing a priest or honest clergy member who knows his stuff can do is to screen for those who need mental health intervention vs. exorcism. Sometimes there is a need for both in these cases. The hope is that the victim/target gets full assistance as this kind of event is not only terrifying it can damage one to the core. Sometimes there is a fight for the soul. Clergy, HONEST clergy, are able to discern the need.

What I saw today, and what Phil exposed, was something I had suspected in one "clergy" member out there who's been on just about every paranormal show around. The Rev. Doctor Bob Larson. He's written a lot of books and calls himself The Real Exorcist.

I watched as he slapped the Bible at this kid, held a big old ornate cross to his head, and never used one prayer along the way. Then the fun started.

Phil cornered the good "Doctor" Larson, who, upon questioning, avoided stating where he got his "doctorate", explaining only that he went to school "online" for it after stating he had gone to Divinity School. He then ran around the edges on his other qualifications. The whole thing was a debacle. Catch the episode on a rerun.

To my reason for posting this, just because they write a book or claim names, do your due diligence. Check these guys carefully. USE YOUR LOCAL CLERGY when you can. They may be hyped on paranormal programs for their books, but you need to pay attention to their education and credentials. It took me listening to this kid's story for about 2 minutes before I said it was a mental health issue. Later in the show, the young man admitted to being schizophrenic and off his meds. The Exorcist didn't know this.

There are very qualified individuals out there. This guy is not one of them.

Strange Debi, seeing “Dr. Phil” and “exorcism” in the same sentence make my mind think of “Jerry Springer” and “civil litigation” as being somehow strangely related.

Reactions: Fizz and Debi
Strange Debi, seeing “Dr. Phil” and “exorcism” in the same sentence make my mind think of “Jerry Springer” and “civil litigation” as being somehow strangely related.
Hey, Jerry is now the new judge show out there. Seriously. Just debuted this week.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
There are very qualified individuals out there. This guy is not one of them.
I know that show is just for entertainment but can imagine you fuming watching the errors of their ways :grimacing:

I saw this show. My take was the same. I actually thought dr Phil did a fair job of handling the situation. Dr Phil admitted there are sometime spiritual issues and to being a believer in Christianity. He brought out there needs to be a proper diagnosis of the true issue first. He showed this exorcist to be a possible fake in a civil manner.