A Cautionary Tale about Boards

titch2k6

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Thought I would share with you another Spirit Board experience I had back in the days.

As a former Spirit Board medium, I hear a lot of people state that you cannot contact or talk to loved ones directly during a session. I will tell you categorically that that statement is untrue. A very skilled clairvoyant may be able to channel to a specific contact in mind (and we are talking about the genuine clairvoyants out there, not the fraudsters who are very clever at pulling information out of a subject, using common suggestive 'headers', without the subject even realising it), but you cannot typically normally channel to a specific contact through a board. Occasionally, however, you can receive contact from an entity that 'pushes' itself forward and wants to be known. This happened to me back in 1996.

To understand this story a little better, you need to understand my life to some degree. I will keep it short - I promise.

I was born in 1971, with my sister following a few years later. When I was 5, my parents divorced and my father got custody of both me and my sister. He was a hard-working man and spent most of his time working long shifts to support our family. He was also a very keen footballer. He played most weekends before moving away from being a player and going into refereeing, again, taking him away from home most weekends. Due to the lack of time he was actually at home, we spent most of our childhood living with his parents - our grandfather and grandmother. We lived with them for around 3 years in total before he met a new lady in his life, and who would become our step-mother.

Spending this time with our grandparents, my sister and I became (probably) closer with them than a 'normal' family unit would. There are things I know about my grandparents that normal grandchildren just wouldn't get to know (like, how my grandmother used to wear the old-styled wax-covered earplugs at night to bed because of my grandad's snoring!). I had an intimate knowledge of the house in which we lived - layout, colours, ornaments, smells, the garden and lots of other happy memories.

After we left our grandparents, and moved in as a new family unit once my father remarried, I spent the first year continuously running away from home (my step-mother was abusive to me, both physically and mentally) back to my grandparents, whom, as regular as clockwork, would return me back to my father and 'her'.

I was 10 years old when I was told by my father that my grandmother had cancer. My world suddenly fell apart around me, as she was the only one I felt I could turn to. My father was rarely at home, through work or football, and the situation with my step-mother had hit rock bottom. My step-mother refused to take me or my sister to see her in hospital, with my father being unable to do so, and when she finally passed a few months later, we had not been given the opportunity to say our goodbyes to her and tell her how much we loved her. The next time we 'saw' her was at her funeral service.

Jump forward to 1996.

I was posted in Trenchard Barracks, Celle, Germany (former WWII German Garrison) with the British Army. I had been learning about Spirit Boards from 'Bob' for about a year at this point following our return from Bosnia. It was something that I kept as a very close secret as it is actually an offense under Military Law (under 'Demoralization of Troops') to be doing what I was doing. There was just a small circle of lads who actually knew what Bob and I did (most of them were from the ISO container unit back in Vitez during my very first paranormal experience).

One day, I was surprised to be approached by a couple of 'A' Company lads who asked me if I would be happy to conduct a session for them. I had never met, or even seen, these two lads before and I was a bit dubious at first, thinking I was being set up to be frog-marched away by MPs, but the more I spoke to them, the more I realised that they were genuine enough and even had their own board back at their accommodation block. We agreed on a time and date for the session and went on our separate ways. On the night arranged, I joined the two lads (along with Bob who was going to act as my scribe and watch me) in their block and after securing the room, we set-up ready for the evening's session.

The first contact we made was with a 'Hans' (no, not Solo........) and judging what was coming through, we concluded he was German. Unfortunately, as none of us spoke much of the language at that time, it was a very short-lived session and wished him 'Auf Wiedersehen'. Then we had an entity come through, almost immediately, who was quite strong on the board and I went through the normal line of questions I always used to use from the onset of any contact.

The following is extracted from the actual transcriptions from that evening that I still have in my possession today. Notes in yellow (in brackets) have been added by myself for the purpose of this post, outlining things occurring at the time, or to note abbreviations used by Bob:

ITAT? ('Is there anybody there') - NR ('No Response')
ITAT? - NR
ITAT? - YES
PRTC ('Please return to center' - requested by board speaker)
AYM? ('Are you male') - NO
PRTC
So YAF? ('You are female') - YES
PRTC
PTU ('Please tell us') you're N ('Name'). - M A R Y
RTC ('Returned to center' - done on own accord and without prompting by users)
GE ('Good evening') Mary. TY ('Thank you') for making ctact with us this eve'. AYH ('Are you happy') to spk with us 2night? - YES
RTC
TY Mary. DYK ('Do you know') anyone who is O ('around') the board? - YES
PRTC
PTU ('Please tell us')the FL ('First letter') of the FN ('First name') of the P ('person') U no. - M
RTC
(At this point, there was myself (Malcolm) and a Mark sat around the board - I had not 'clicked on' at this point to whom Mary was)
TY Mary. PTU the FL of the LN ('Last name') of the P U no. - E
RTC
SP - ('Session paused' - we were discussing if Mark had the last initial E, and it turned out it was just me, but at this point, I still did not realise who Mary was).
HDYK ('How do you know') the P? - G R A N D S O N
RTC
SP

So, at this point, I was taken back a little and we paused the session to decide how to move forward. I decided that I would come away from the board, as I always made people do with any personal contact to remove any 'contamination', with Mark taking over as 'key Speaker' and supported by the other lad with us. Things went kinda crazy (in a nice way for a change) from here, and to save boring you to death with more transcriptions, I will just summarise the evening from this point.

I initially asked a lot of basic questions to start to ascertain if this was really my grandmother and then threw in some very personal questions - the kind that no-one who did not live with us at the time could possibly have known the answer to. Everything was coming back through correctly first time and very clear. At one point I got quite emotional after realising that I was indeed talking to my grandmother. These emotions formed through the joy of being given the chance to talk to her once more, and the love for the woman who raised me for a short period of my life. The session even got to the point where I was thinking of questions in my head, and they were being answered on the board before even vocally asking them aloud and I had to give my questions to the confused onlookers after the responses. At one point, I asked her if she was my guardian spirit, but was a bit disappointed when she told me that she was not. She did tell me, however, that she was proud of me and what I had become and to tell Dan, my grandfather, that she still loved him to which I promised I would. It went on like this for around 20 minutes before she finally left us and we went over in detail what had just happened.

I telephoned my grandfather the very next day, and although I did not tell him what had actually happened, the conversation was brought around to my grandmother and I expressed that, 'I am sure that grandma still loves you, grandad'. I felt that I had fulfilled my promise to her, albeit in a non-direct way.

I never heard from her again in the time I remained a Spirit Board medium, but I am happy with that. I cannot go dwelling on a single experience and spend the rest of my life pining for something else to happen that, ultimately, probably never would. It was a one-off event for me that gave me an opportunity to tell her the things I wanted to all those years ago whilst she was lying ill in hospital - and I am forever thankful for that.

This was just one of many experiences that were witnessed and have helped to shape my strong belief in something beyond. I do not have all the answers, but I continue to look for an understanding here-and-there through paranormal research and conducting investigations.

For those of you reading who know my stand on use of Ouija or spirit boards, let me explain that Titch is a highly trained user of it as a tool, not a toy. He is also like myself and a former user. As I've said, I will never touch one again.

The spirit boards/Ouija Boards are in and of themselves nothing but a tool. The problems arise when totally untrained people try to use them like a toy without taking any safety measures and asking things that invite trouble in the door. I can tell by reading his account he's trained in the proper protocol and we've also had another discussion about this which is why I allow him to relate his experience with it.

As with anything used as a channel or tool to reach the other side, please don't try this at home. It can be extremely dangerous to you and your family if you accidentally let something in that is demonic or negative.

Last edited:
The story above was an occurrence that some may find 'nice' and be tempted themselves to replicate. Please, do not be that person.

I have posted two experiences that I have had on a board on this site for a reason. Many people who have thought about using a board, or currently do, can probably relate to these experiences and think to themselves that a board is harmless and just a bit of fun. The truth of the matter is, the reality of what you can let through is something to be fearful of. I told you the other two stories to lead me up to this third and final story I will tell of my experiences as a Sprit Board medium. After this, I am going to put the subject to bed. This is not a story I share that much as I still have difficulties with what happened. It was also an event witnessed by quite a few people, some of who suffered the after-effects of the session along with myself.

Why do I share it here and now? As a warning of how things can go 'south' and why you should not play around with spirit boards, especially if you do not know what you are doing.

In October of 2007, I was invited to conduct a session for a group of people as part of their Halloween festivities in the Spalding area, Lincolnshire. Having conducted a number of sessions for them in the past, I agreed to attend and conduct a session, by their request, at 03:00 as considered to be the witching hour. I produced a 'Hellgate' board (please don't ask - I will not tell you.....) in Oak for the event, again, something I had done before and use to get some really good responses with.

The event started off normally with the lighting of the candles, sealing of the glass and a protection ritual. There was six of us, myself included, around the board and 8 spectators, including my scriber who was responsible for recording all of the board activity for review at a later time.

We had a 'resident' presence ('our Fred') come through and spent a bit of time with us, much to the enjoyment of the group, before we said goodbye to him and let him move on. Things then went really quiet for a bit before we started to get another response.

From the outstart, something just did not feel right with this presence. Can't explain it - there was just this 'feeling' deep inside of me. We had a lot of glass movement, but at the same time, it was very sporadic. It would give us no information and refused to follow simple instructions, such as returning to the centre of the board. Now, initially, there was nothing abnormal here - 'Jokers' and 'Clowns' do this all the time before they settle down. However, the force on the glass was slowly getting more forceful the longer we tried to make actual communication with the entity. As we progressed, the entity seemed to be getting more confident with itself and the glass movement started to become even stronger and it was spending more time trying to head to my line of limitation, located in front of the 'hellgate', with the group having to physically stop the glass on more than one occasion. All of this time though, not a single thing had been 'said' through the board and at this point we still had no idea who, or what, we were dealing with.

After a few minutes of this, the glass finally started spelling out things, but at that moment in time, it just appeared to be gibberish to us. It was my scriber that actually realised that we were getting messages through. The reason we could not understand what was being said was because everything was being given to us in reverse.......

Now, this is where I should have stopped the session there and then, potentially facing a negative entity, and closed the board. Instead, I let intrigue get the better of me and allowed the session to continue. Something I regretted for many years after the event.

We continued to get responses both in reverse and now normal phrases (mostly threatening those on the board) and then we started receiving responses in, what we found out after the event through research, Latin. In my whole spirit board 'career', I had never received anything in Latin during any previous events. I had heard about it happening through my teachings (and apparently, it was not a good sign), but never experienced it. The one phrase we got upon review that I will never forget was 'angelus reprobi', which we translated to 'fallen angel'. During all of this time, we never received a name for the entity and the glass got that strong in its movements at one point, the six of us on the board were struggling to keep up with it.

The session came to a finale, with people now starting to panic a little, with the glass making a direct line for 'hellgate' on the board. We quickly applied all the pressure we could to stop the glass and I found myself shouting at the entity to return to the centre of the board. The glass started moving a lot slower than it had all evening (I remember thinking that maybe it had used most of its energy during this 'dash' on the board and fighting us trying to stop it) and positioned itself at the center.

Then the glass imploded.

Now understand this - this thing did not just shatter outwards or crack and come apart - this thing went IN on itself.

This, honestly, was the second time in my life that I actually felt true fear. After being taken back for a few moments, and after gathering my thoughts, I conducted an impromptu cleansing ritual and we quickly, and appropriately, disposed of the board. Myself and a couple of others experienced very disturbing nightmares following the event over the next few nights, and even more eerily, they all were very similar in nature (a very tall dark figure taunting us from within shadows, faceless 'people' being horrifically tortured and the death of loved ones - all very graphic in nature). My marriage with my very loving wife also broke down very quickly after, as well as a run of other bad luck that seemed to follow me for a period of time after. I vowed following this event that I would never have anything to do with spirit boards again and have not touched one since despite numerous requests over the years from people I have previously met through holding sessions for them.

I still have contact with some of the people, and who are still close friends, that were there during that morning and witnessed the events that unfolded. We recollect the night in conversation occasionally and laugh about it now, but there still exists an uncomfortable feeling of just how lucky we were to get off as lightly as we did.

There are things in this world we just can not comprehend. Using Spirit/Ouija boards can open 'doorways' to things that are really not very nice at all. I believe we encountered a very negative entity that morning, even though I had done everything 'right' and according to my teachings. This is why people who have used boards and had negative occurrences tell others to take heed and stay away from them. They are not paranoid, nor over-reacting - they have seen, and experienced, it for themselves and they do not want to see others harmed, potentially go through a diabolical haunting or some other misadventure.

The story above was an occurrence that some may find 'nice' and be tempted themselves to replicate. Please, do not be that person.

I have posted two experiences that I have had on a board on this site for a reason. Many people who have thought about using a board, or currently do, can probably relate to these experiences and think to themselves that a board is harmless and just a bit of fun. The truth of the matter is, the reality of what you can let through is something to be fearful of. I told you the other two stories to lead me up to this third and final story I will tell of my experiences as a Sprit Board medium. After this, I am going to put the subject to bed. This is not a story I share that much as I still have difficulties with what happened. It was also an event witnessed by quite a few people, some of who suffered the after-effects of the session along with myself.

Why do I share it here and now? As a warning of how things can go 'south' and why you should not play around with spirit boards, especially if you do not know what you are doing.

In October of 2007, I was invited to conduct a session for a group of people as part of their Halloween festivities in the Spalding area, Lincolnshire. Having conducted a number of sessions for them in the past, I agreed to attend and conduct a session, by their request, at 03:00 as considered to be the witching hour. I produced a 'Hellgate' board (please don't ask - I will not tell you.....) in Oak for the event, again, something I had done before and use to get some really good responses with.

The event started off normally with the lighting of the candles, sealing of the glass and a protection ritual. There was six of us, myself included, around the board and 8 spectators, including my scriber who was responsible for recording all of the board activity for review at a later time.

We had a 'resident' presence ('our Fred') come through and spent a bit of time with us, much to the enjoyment of the group, before we said goodbye to him and let him move on. Things then went really quiet for a bit before we started to get another response.

From the outstart, something just did not feel right with this presence. Can't explain it - there was just this 'feeling' deep inside of me. We had a lot of glass movement, but at the same time, it was very sporadic. It would give us no information and refused to follow simple instructions, such as returning to the centre of the board. Now, initially, there was nothing abnormal here - 'Jokers' and 'Clowns' do this all the time before they settle down. However, the force on the glass was slowly getting more forceful the longer we tried to make actual communication with the entity. As we progressed, the entity seemed to be getting more confident with itself and the glass movement started to become even stronger and it was spending more time trying to head to my line of limitation, located in front of the 'hellgate', with the group having to physically stop the glass on more than one occasion. All of this time though, not a single thing had been 'said' through the board and at this point we still had no idea who, or what, we were dealing with.

After a few minutes of this, the glass finally started spelling out things, but at that moment in time, it just appeared to be gibberish to us. It was my scriber that actually realised that we were getting messages through. The reason we could not understand what was being said was because everything was being given to us in reverse.......

Now, this is where I should have stopped the session there and then, potentially facing a negative entity, and closed the board. Instead, I let intrigue get the better of me and allowed the session to continue. Something I regretted for many years after the event.

We continued to get responses both in reverse and now normal phrases (mostly threatening those on the board) and then we started receiving responses in, what we found out after the event through research, Latin. In my whole spirit board 'career', I had never received anything in Latin during any previous events. I had heard about it happening through my teachings (and apparently, it was not a good sign), but never experienced it. The one phrase we got upon review that I will never forget was 'angelus reprobi', which we translated to 'fallen angel'. During all of this time, we never received a name for the entity and the glass got that strong in its movements at one point, the six of us on the board were struggling to keep up with it.

The session came to a finale, with people now starting to panic a little, with the glass making a direct line for 'hellgate' on the board. We quickly applied all the pressure we could to stop the glass and I found myself shouting at the entity to return to the centre of the board. The glass started moving a lot slower than it had all evening (I remember thinking that maybe it had used most of its energy during this 'dash' on the board and fighting us trying to stop it) and positioned itself at the center.

Then the glass imploded.

Now understand this - this thing did not just shatter outwards or crack and come apart - this thing went IN on itself.

This, honestly, was the second time in my life that I actually felt true fear. After being taken back for a few moments, and after gathering my thoughts, I conducted an impromptu cleansing ritual and we quickly, and appropriately, disposed of the board. Myself and a couple of others experienced very disturbing nightmares following the event over the next few nights, and even more eerily, they all were very similar in nature (a very tall dark figure taunting us from within shadows, faceless 'people' being horrifically tortured and the death of loved ones - all very graphic in nature). My marriage with my very loving wife also broke down very quickly after, as well as a run of other bad luck that seemed to follow me for a period of time after. I vowed following this event that I would never have anything to do with spirit boards again and have not touched one since despite numerous requests over the years from people I have previously met through holding sessions for them.

I still have contact with some of the people, and who are still close friends, that were there during that morning and witnessed the events that unfolded. We recollect the night in conversation occasionally and laugh about it now, but there still exists an uncomfortable feeling of just how lucky we were to get off as lightly as we did.

There are things in this world we just can not comprehend. Using Spirit/Ouija boards can open 'doorways' to things that are really not very nice at all. I believe we encountered a very negative entity that morning, even though I had done everything 'right' and according to my teachings. This is why people who have used boards and had negative occurrences tell others to take heed and stay away from them. They are not paranoid, nor over-reacting - they have seen, and experienced, it for themselves and they do not want to see others harmed, potentially go through a diabolical haunting or some other misadventure.
Titch, thank you for sharing this. I have tried over the years to caution people, and still can't/won't talk of my own experience and why I never touched it again for similar reasons.

People, take note. You now have TWO trained people who will not touch a board again telling you the same thing. Titch has the right of it...we are not over-reacting. Don't take a chance. There are things out there that not only go bump in the night, but also may harm you and yours.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You write so well too! I was totally rapt while reading. The regulars here know that I had a bad experience with a board as a teenager. We were just playing around not knowing better. I had problems with activity for several years. I totally support your position on this tool. BTW, have you ever considered writing a book ? Honestly your words flow like you have a gift in this area.