A bit close to home....

So, quick update.

The floor was actually quite clean under the hallway boards. I placed each of the marbles in one of the channels that each one came out of before stomping and jumping around, much to the neighbours annoyance

Nothing.

Trod on the exposed joists in the bathroom - still nothing. Moved the marbles in different places under the floor and repeated. Still no movement.

Have left them in place and will monitor.

In meantime, I am waiting for an email from a joiner who actually worked on these as new houses back in '69, so will see if marble usage was commonplace then.

So, quick update.

The floor was actually quite clean under the hallway boards. I placed each of the marbles in one of the channels that each one came out of before stomping and jumping around, much to the neighbours annoyance

Nothing.

Trod on the exposed joists in the bathroom - still nothing. Moved the marbles in different places under the floor and repeated. Still no movement.

Have left them in place and will monitor.

In meantime, I am waiting for an email from a joiner who actually worked on these as new houses back in '69, so will see if marble usage was commonplace then.
I love this. So fun. Thanks for the update. I can’t wait to hear what he says.

Reactions: RoseRed and Debi
Received today by email:

''......it was indeed regular to find chippies with marbles in their tool bag back in those days, some even had ping-pong balls, which, as you suggested, were used for checking runs were level and yes, they were often accidentally left behind when flooring went down.''

So, that potentially answers the "how they got there" issue.

Just got to figure out why the three rolled down and out of the floor channels now..........

Received today by email:

''......it was indeed regular to find chippies with marbles in their tool bag back in those days, some even had ping-pong balls, which, as you suggested, were used for checking runs were level and yes, they were often accidentally left behind when flooring went down.''

So, that potentially answers the "how they got there" issue.

Just got to figure out why the three rolled down and out of the floor channels now..........
Thanks for the update. I learned something on this thread. I would have never considered that construction leveling technique.

Reactions: Debi