A bit close to home....

titch2k6

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
This is a personal experience as I did not catch it on camera - much to my annoyance.....

This also happened literally within the last few minutes and I dropped tools to post the event on here.

Ain't I good!

I am currently renovating our bathroom upstairs - a complete strip-out and re-install. I have been working at my own pace for about a week now. Nothing untoward has ever happened in the home. A few minutes ago, I was doing some pipework under the bathroom floor when I heard a sound coming from under the floor down the hallway. As it got closer in my direction, I heard another and then another.

Imagine my surprise to see three marbles, one in each of three different channels of the floor, come out from where the hallway floorboards end and roll into the open bathroom! I am alone at home working and all of the hallway floorboards are down :eek:

The marbles look brand new and as though they were just brought from a shop, so I do not think they have been sitting under the floor as I have found other 'artefacts' on lifting boards that are covered in years of dirt. We also do not, nor ever have had, marbles in our house. For one - we have two dogs that will put anything in their mouths, so we would not risk it and for two, our son with ADHD is a bugger for putting Lego in his mouth and trying to swallow it as it is. So marbles are a big 'no, no' in our house!

I have no idea how they got under the floor, nor how they rolled down three separate channels, from the hallway, into the bathroom.

Maybe someone is trying to tell me something? Maybe, they don't like the proposed colour scheme :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, as I said, this is just a personal experience but I will be poised to catch anything else unusual to share with you.....

IMG_20210516_195547_resized_20210516_075629705.jpg

This is a personal experience as I did not catch it on camera - much to my annoyance.....

This also happened literally within the last few minutes and I dropped tools to post the event on here.

Ain't I good!

I am currently renovating our bathroom upstairs - a complete strip-out and re-install. I have been working at my own pace for about a week now. Nothing untoward has ever happened in the home. A few minutes ago, I was doing some pipework under the bathroom floor when I heard a sound coming from under the floor down the hallway. As it got closer in my direction, I heard another and then another.

Imagine my surprise to see three marbles, one in each of three different channels of the floor, come out from where the hallway floorboards end and roll into the open bathroom! I am alone at home working and all of the hallway floorboards are down :eek:

The marbles look brand new and as though they were just brought from a shop, so I do not think they have been sitting under the floor as I have found other 'artefacts' on lifting boards that are covered in years of dirt. We also do not, nor ever have had, marbles in our house. For one - we have two dogs that will put anything in their mouths, so we would not risk it and for two, our son with ADHD is a bugger for putting Lego in his mouth and trying to swallow it as it is. So marbles are a big 'no, no' in our house!

I have no idea how they got under the floor, nor how they rolled down three separate channels, from the hallway, into the bathroom.

Maybe someone is trying to tell me something? Maybe, they don't like the proposed colour scheme :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, as I said, this is just a personal experience but I will be poised to catch anything else unusual to share with you.....

View attachment 32426
My former brother-in-law retired as a master carpenter in the custom home building business after 30+ years. In his tool box he carried a small bag of marbles, used them to do quick "level" checks on floors, shelves, joists, etc. I'd assume carpenters in the UK do the same thing, but that wouldn't explain how clean those you found were in an old house had they been left inadvertently.

My former brother-in-law retired as a master carpenter in the custom home building business after 30+ years. In his tool box he carried a small bag of marbles, used them to do quick "level" checks on floors, shelves, joists, etc. I'd assume carpenters in the UK do the same thing, but that wouldn't explain how clean those you found were in an old house had they been left inadvertently.

That's really interesting. Something I will have to look into as it could explain how they got under the floor.

I am going to open up the hallway floor tomorrow to run some central heating pipes and I have made a mental note to observe what the conditions are like under there (i.e. clean or dirty). I'm also going to place the marbles back in their channels and see if there is any movement naturally, as well as me standing on the joists in the bathroom resulting in any slight shift in level and see what happens.

Not often I get to investigate in my own home :grinning:

Keep an eye on things titch, my worst paranormal experience happened in a mate's house he was renovating. It's too much to write about on here but I've heard plenty of stories around reno's.

Ummm...hey guys? Let's talk marbles and hauntings...

Excerpt:
And so, these child ghosts have no places to go. That was also the period when buildings were built. Having a fear that these child ghosts would haunt any new buildings built, builders also placed marbles in between floors, so the “kids” would play with the marbles and won’t disturb the occupants.

Marbles have also been known to apport in during a haunting. Wiccans/Pagans also use them in Witch Bottles to store good energy and ward homes.

A few more "things" about them...

BTW, not saying there is not a natural cause as Duke suggests. Just want to point out that marbles have been reported as part of paranormal phenom as long as my memory goes back...and that's quite a ways.

Not that Titch needs advice, but if I were researching this I'd start with a call to a local carpenter's union. I'd explain what I found, give them some details on the age/history of the house (if available), then simply ask what they make of.

The great thing about workers in union trades in a particular area/region is there is often generational overlap, passing on what some call "tribal knowledge" within a vocational community. Simple, cheap, and available makes a process or action in a specific field popular and routine.

Not that Titch needs advice, but if I were researching this I'd start with a call to a local carpenter's union. I'd explain what I found, give them some details on the age/history of the house (if available), then simply ask what they make of.

The great thing about workers in union trades in a particular area/region is there is often generational overlap, passing on what some call "tribal knowledge" within a vocational community. Simple, cheap, and available makes a process or action in a specific field popular and routine.
Oh, I agree with you! And most likely, this is a totally mundane thing with a carpenter story behind it. I just wanted to point out the back story with marbles and the paranormal. :)

Oh, I agree with you! And most likely, this is a totally mundane thing with a carpenter story behind it. I just wanted to point out the back story with marbles and the paranormal. :)
Understood. Was only pointing out what you always tell us here, eliminate the mundane before considering the paranormal. If this is the former, I think there is a good chance one call will get us to that conclusion.

I am a bit late to the discussion. I would have been shocked and surprised too. So glad you shared. Keep us updated on any activity or answers.

Reactions: RoseRed