A bit about Mothman

I feel Mothman was genuinely some form of entity attracted or sent for whatever reason and not any form of animal.

I agree with you on that, Oz. I think it is an entity of some type. It's often seen as a harbinger, but is it a good guy or a bad guy?
I don't think it was sent as a warning but I don't think it caused anything,maybe like a vulture or buzzard just sensing doom.A very hard one to figure.

Reactions: Walking Goose
Chicago has a Mothman
Good find WG.I believe this is a real entity where I'm a bit skeptical on cryptids generally.I am going to buy a set of wings though and try to encourage Jess off the vid to come to Oz,lol.

Reactions: Walking Goose
I have a problem with the Mothman as it is generally described. The picture above is an example of my problem. For a human-sized and shaped creature to fly it would HAVE to have wings MANY times bigger than is described. If you look at the wings of say a condor and then look at the body you will see that the wingspan is several times the actual length of the actual flesh and blood part of the body.

The only way something that size could fly with those wings would be to levitate and fly by will of mind. For a man-sized creature to fly it would need to be rail-thin, hollow boned, and wings in excess of 20 feet.

I'm not saying that the Mothman doesn't exist. I just can't figure out how it could fly. Even the big birds mostly just soar and seldom actually flap their wings to fly.

I have a problem with the Mothman as it is generally described. The picture above is an example of my problem. For a human-sized and shaped creature to fly it would HAVE to have wings MANY times bigger than is described. If you look at the wings of say a condor and then look at the body you will see that the wingspan is several times the actual length of the actual flesh and blood part of the body.

The only way something that size could fly with those wings would be to levitate and fly by will of mind. For a man-sized creature to fly it would need to be rail-thin, hollow boned, and wings in excess of 20 feet.

I'm not saying that the Mothman doesn't exist. I just can't figure out how it could fly. Even the big birds mostly just soar and seldom actually flap their wings to fly.
Yep, human anatomy isn't suited for wings, the average human would need a wingspan of 25 feet just to soar, and then a way to reach around 25 miles per hour to lift off....to actually fly we would need an extended breast bone to support the extra muscle mass, so a breastbone of 3 feet has been estimated, just think of birds chests compared to the rest of their body..... And then there's nourishment to replace lost calories from such exertion, again think birds and how much they require...but man has tried this since Icarus, which shows the best lesson learned is to first know how to swim.......

Reactions: Duke
Yep, human anatomy isn't suited for wings, the average human would need a wingspan of 25 feet just to soar, and then a way to reach around 25 miles per hour to lift off....to actually fly we would need an extended breast bone to support the extra muscle mass, so a breastbone of 3 feet has been estimated, just think of birds chests compared to the rest of their body..... And then there's nourishment to replace lost calories from such exertion, again think birds and how much they require...but man has tried this since Icarus, which shows the best lesson learned is to first know how to swim......

Reminds me of aerodynamics class and the professor telling us bumblebees flying violated the laws of physics and aerodynamics. That statement was based on how we thought bumblebees flew, but not long ago advances in technology showed us we were wrong. Turns out they fly more like helicopters than fixed wing aircraft or birds, their wings rotate.

Reactions: Paulm
The only way something that size could fly with those wings would be to levitate and fly by will of mind. For a man-sized creature to fly it would need to be rail-thin, hollow boned, and wings in excess of 20 fee
That's one reason I don't believe it is a flesh and blood creature.

Reactions: Paulm