9-10-2021 Friday Live Chat Portal

View attachment 34864

A favorite park for me and luckily its in my backyard. Spectacular in October. Amazing year round. I have driven in it along Skyline drive, biked it, and hiked it. It contains the longest part of the Appalachian Trail (AT) that runs from Georgia to Maine. I do believe what John Muir stated: The mountains call to me.
I do envy the fact that the US still has wilderness. We have really old buildings around here, but the oldest woodland is a tiny patch from the middle ages. Most of the original landscape was trashed long ago.

I do envy the fact that the US still has wilderness. We have really old buildings around here, but the oldest woodland is a tiny patch from the middle ages. Most of the original landscape was trashed long ago.
The irony is that most people here don't even recognize how much wilderness we actually have.

I've lived in seven different States and have visited over a dozen more. I've driven back and forth between many different States and am always in awe by all the emptiness in between. There are stretches of the road 100-200 miles long where the only sign of mankind is the road itself. When you eventually get to a city it's like this giant gash in the landscape that you can easily see from several miles away.

I have had friends who have never really left the city. They complain about overcrowding and can't fathom the idea of hundreds of square miles of wilderness being one to two hours from their home. One person went on a trip with me and was most amazed at a small house up on hill all by itself about an hour's drive from the nearest town. They wondered how that person could live all alone so far from stores and restaurants.

Yep, i love early morning crispness and late afternoon warmth. Autumn is a great time of year. Plus, nature shows us its color palette.
Ah yessss....Fall...that time of year when folks come to the Central Valley to watch the smoke change colors.....lovely...BENWAY!!

Stevedog
now-thats-the-truth.jpg

Reactions: Stevedog
Ah yessss....Fall...that time of year when folks come to the Central Valley to watch the smoke change colors.....lovely...BENWAY!!
Hi!
Ten to six PM, that time of the day when Benway reluctantly crawls off to bed after being awake since five the previous afternoon.... When folks slowly walk around the supermarket spending five minutes deciding whether the latest crisis means they should buy six or seven bottles of non-long life milk.
There is an alarming complete absence of birdsong and we have opted for 'plague pit' rather than 'big fire'* so I have no particular view.
Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

*Disappointing, as last year we had plague pit and at least a big column of fire and lightning strikes, so this year seems a bit lazy.

Last edited: