6th horse dies at Churchill Downs

Horses are very fragile animals in spite of their size. After working with horses my entire life, I have seen some things. I think with these super expensive horses, they are insured. When you are dealing with a huge loss, the decision to euthanize a horse that will never perform to earn back an investment, becomes too easy. I don't know the individual circumstances, but I have seen this happen in the show horses I have been around. When the horse is worth more dead than alive the decision to end its life is the choice most often made. I think this is probably the case here, I would not be surprised to learn that some of these horses could have been saved to a pasture life or even a plain saddle horse. Insurance pay outs change the decision in many cases. So, the news picks up on the fact that 6 horses have died, and we all think something nefarious is going on. Most likely it was some unlucky injuries that happen often with these animals. The strange surroundings and screaming people only lend to the likelihood they will step wrong or have a colic. The real sadness is with the grooms who love and care for the animals who have no control over the decision.