6 analog astronauts are camping out in the Israeli desert for a month to simulate life on Mars

Never heard the word analog used this way:

" For nearly all of October, six analog astronauts — the term for people who help simulate life on other planets — are living in a small base camp and carrying out experiments in Israel's Negev Desert. "

Analog watch, yeah; analog writing, okay; analog astronaut ?

" For nearly all of October, six analog astronauts — the term for people who help simulate life on other planets — are living in a small base camp and carrying out experiments in Israel's Negev Desert. "

I first heard it used back in the late 80s from our biomedical people. They were using a new, high specialized ballistic gel to simulate human tissue for predicting shrapnel injury potential. The gel was described as a "human tissue analog. "

I

thought that was an odd phrase too

I guess it’s a good idea to problem solved. I sure wouldn’t want to spend 6 months of my life doing it. I hope they make a lot of money.