6-4-2021 Friday Live Chat

And Ben, that has a name...it's called "Social Anxiety". And a lot of people are experiencing this in the aftermath of Covid.

Reactions: Lynne
OK, so try on the phone first. Or just saying hi in a coffee shop. Little steps forward.
I have a person who calls or cahts most weeks who's been a lifeline and I can do smalltalk when shopping or if I bump into someone. I can't get it into my head to break my routine though! It just doesn't occur to me.

Ben I believe things will be ok for you. The more you go out, the more you will feel comfortable. When I had a car accident , I was afraid to drive for a long time. Gradually as I forced myself to drive it passed.

Reactions: Benway
I have a person who calls or cahts most weeks who's been a lifeline and I can do smalltalk when shopping or if I bump into someone. I can't get it into my head to break my routine though! It just doesn't occur to me.
You just keep working on it and soon you'll break through that wall. My youngest son has extreme social anxiety. As he told me, he had practiced his whole life for this lock down....he's expert level at avoiding people! lol Seriously, best advice is to not pressure yourself. Just keep talking to support people and you'll begin to find your way forward. Be patient with yourself.

You are a good person and I'm sorry about the firework hassle. They are fun and important to alot of people but also cause problems for others.
It’s fine now. Horse is ok and my barn is not in fire. I am actually a big fireworks fan, just not 50 feet from my barn.

And Ben, that has a name...it's called "Social Anxiety". And a lot of people are experiencing this in the aftermath of Covid.
It's... well maybe it's a bit that. Thanks. I know about that, but somehow it never quite clicked that I was scared of how people would react! I am though, now that you mention it. It's like being a teenager again. Now that I type this, I'm even wearing a shirt from when I was a teenager that I found in the back of a drawer! Help! I've regressed!

Reactions: Lynne
Ben I believe things will be ok for you. The more you go out, the more you will feel comfortable. When I had a car accident , I was afraid to drive for a long time. Gradually as I forced myself to drive it passed.
Thanks. I know you are right, but getting myself to feel it is tricky.

It's... well maybe it's a bit that. Thanks. I know about that, but somehow it never quite clicked that I was scared of how people would react! I am though, now that you mention it. It's like being a teenager again. Now that I type this, I'm even wearing a shirt from when I was a teenager that I found in the back of a drawer! Help! I've regressed!
See? You've already had insight tonight. lol You are gonna come through this. And it's OK if you wear the shirt. I've got on tye dye! lol Makes me feel secure. ;bg3

Reactions: Benway and Lynne