40,000 yr. old Wolf head

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

A Siberian man searching for mammoth tusks amid melting permafrost was taken aback when he stumbled upon the severed head of a wolf that turned out to be 40,000 years old. The remarkable find was reportedly made last year as Pavel Efimov walked along the shore of a river in the district of Yakutia. He subsequently turned it over to scientists, who kept the discovery under wraps until they unveiled it this week at an event in Tokyo.

According to experts who examined the remarkable remains, the wolf likely roamed the Earth during the Pleistocene era and was considerably bigger than its modern-day counterparts that reside in the region today. The head of the animal, alone, they say measures 16 inches, which is around half the size of a modern gray wolf's whole body. Scientists were particularly excited about the discovery because of its well-preserved nature. To that end, not only were the animal's teeth and fur still intact, but so was its brain.

As to how or why the wolf's head wound up being severed from its body, experts postulated that the ancient decapitation was probably not the work of human hands, because the region where it was found was not settled by people until a period long after the event likely took place. Despite only having the head to work with, scientists hope to reconstruct the complete creature for some kind of display in the future while also studying the DNA of the ancient wolf to gain new insights into the long-departed canines which once called Siberia home.

40,000-Year-Old Severed Wolf's Head Found in Siberia - Coast to Coast AM

Reactions: ozentity
Seeing canids are my favourite topic/interest,this is one of the best finds ever.Even in that state you can see the awesome power of this animal.You could imagine it standing on its back legs and how a werewolf legend started.I would have loved to see the live animal(at a distance).I'd hate to have seen what ripped its head off.

Reactions: Debi and Paulm
Seeing canids are my favourite topic/interest,this is one of the best finds ever.Even in that state you can see the awesome power of this animal.You could imagine it standing on its back legs and how a werewolf legend started.I would have loved to see the live animal(at a distance).I'd hate to have seen what ripped its head off.
good point on the head. I wonder if governments have gotten DNA from these type of finds. Even partial strands mixed with a close relative could produce a large breed. It makes me think of the video we had here of that huge wolf in the woods. Remember ? It was like something out of time.

good point on the head. I wonder if governments have gotten DNA from these type of finds. Even partial strands mixed with a close relative could produce a large breed. It makes me think of the video we had here of that huge wolf in the woods. Remember ? It was like something out of time.
I bet with all the talk and research on cloning the mammoth that cloning a dire wolf is also tops on the list, seems DNA is readily available and the gray wolf would be a good surrogate, so I would guess that cloning this animal is high on the list also.

I think wolves can get up to 200lb today and that's one big canine seeing it would be lean.The head found would have come off an animal nearly twice that.They would make some truly scary security dogs crossed with a German Shepherd or Malinois

I think wolves can get up to 200lb today and that's one big canine seeing it would be lean.The head found would have come off an animal nearly twice that.They would make some truly scary security dogs crossed with a German Shepherd or Malinois
The size of a cow !

The size of a cow !
I could imagine them guarding military bases.I don't think they would suit the general public advertised as good with kids lol.

The thing I don't understand(or one of them) about cloning is when they cloned Dolly the sheep the clone was born equalling a 5 year old sheep like the mother and had a shortened life span.If they clone a 40 000 year old wolf will it work?, as theoretically the clone is 40 000 as well.

The thing I don't understand(or one of them) about cloning is when they cloned Dolly the sheep the clone was born equalling a 5 year old sheep like the mother and had a shortened life span.If they clone a 40 000 year old wolf will it work?, as theoretically the clone is 40 000 as well.
I would guess the aging of the DNA stopped upon its death. Of course I could be totally wrong on that, which would make cloning a viable animal impossible. Another thing is I think they combine certain viable strains of the DNA with a living animal defendants DNA.