4-13-2018 FRIDAY the 13th PNF Live Chat Thread

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
PNF-Share.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
Superstitions, got any ? Or do you just have habits that you do every day ? :) Today being Friday the 13th, I thought that I would discuss my favorite sport and some of its quirkiest aspects.

Baseball, America's favorite pastime, has perhaps, more superstitions than any other sport. When a player is on a good streak, they may perform the same ritual day after day after day; eating the same pre-game foods, perhaps at the same exact time, taking batting and fielding practice at the same times as the previous day, and heaven forbid !, wearing the same socks, same jersey, SAME UNDERWEAR while on this good streak. On the other hand, when in a slump, some of the weirdest things may be seen; wearing a ball cap inside out, wearing a cap with the brim straight up, wearing a cap backwards. Now this is on the bench mind you. While on the field of play, MLB players are required to look professional. They may, I have heard, wear their underwear or socks inside out, unnoticed by fans, umpires, and the commissioner. ANYTHING to change that bad luck. :) And should a black cat walk across the field, superstitious players may go nuts.

Yes, baseball at the major league level has its daily routine, but some of the brightest, most respected and most talented players in the world take rituals one step further.

So, what have you noticed that a player might do ( can be other sports too). A batter who taps the plate three times with his bat, adjusts his batting gloves and taps his helmet after each pitch, points the barrel of the bat to a specific place in the outfield. Part of that is routine, mind you to get in the frame of mind to bat; part is superstition.

Mark The Bird Fidrych.jpg

How many recall Mark "The Bird" Fidrych ? He had some of the quirkiest
mannerisms on the mound that anyone can recall. Ha ! Great pitcher for a
couple of years.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi