4,000-Year-Old Game Board Carved into the Earth Shows How Nomads Had Fun

Hey, my version had snakes! I like sliding and snakes, but it seems I got the less practical but more potentially deadly version of this game.
Snakes? What the heck kind of game did you have? :p:eek:

Reactions: Donna K.
Snakes? What the heck kind of game did you have? :p:eek:
Try searching Wikipedia for Chutes and Ladders and the snakes'll get you! :blacktelephone:
There's no reason for that emoji, and I have no idea what it is for, but just liked that it's called 'black telephone', but...
So along those lines, I like the game with snakes rather than chutes, but parachuting seems much more sane than parasnaking. And that is one of many reasons why I've never jumped out of a plane.*

*Although the main reason is the ground.

Last edited:
Try searching Wikipedia for Chutes and Ladders and the snakes'll get you! :blacktelephone:
There's no reason for that emoji, and I have no idea what it is for, but just liked that it's called 'black telephone', but...
So along those lines, I like the game with snakes rather than chutes, but parachuting seems much more sane than parasnaking. And that is one of many reasons why I've never jumped out of a plane.*

*Although the main reason is the ground.
Snakes and Ladders - Wikipedia

Well, I'll be darned. Learn something daily around here! And I just thought it was a kid's game!

Oh..and that ground thing....I agree. In fact, I won't even get in a plane cuz of that ground thing!

Reactions: Donna K. and Benway
Snakes and Ladders - Wikipedia

Well, I'll be darned. Learn something daily around here! And I just thought it was a kid's game!

Oh..and that ground thing....I agree. In fact, I won't even get in a plane cuz of that ground thing!
Wow. I just read that Wiki page in full and it neglects to mention that the early version of Snakes and Ladders was long dead by the time I was born. It makes it seem like we had a really complex version! Even the old boards I've seen are just the same as the American version , but with snakes. I vaguely remember that Milton Bradley thought snakes were too scary for children, or something!
I can't fault their hype though: "improved new version of England's famous indoor sport" I wonder how many people were disappointed that it wasn't a giant spinning dartboard with flashing lights, a harpoon gun and a cask of ale?
Still, it's the same game and many was the hour happily spent searching the room after the dice rolled off the table.

Edit: Thinking about it, the old famous indoor sport was bar billiards and somebody turned that into pinball! Did somebody mix up the press releases? Did the first pinball table get announced with "A charming and simple game for young children"?

Last edited:
Wow. I just read that Wiki page in full and it neglects to mention that the early version of Snakes and Ladders was long dead by the time I was born. It makes it seem like we had a really complex version! Even the old boards I've seen are just the same as the American version , but with snakes. I vaguely remember that Milton Bradley thought snakes were too scary for children, or something!
I can't fault their hype though: "improved new version of England's famous indoor sport" I wonder how many people were disappointed that it wasn't a giant spinning dartboard with flashing lights, a harpoon gun and a cask of ale?
Still, it's the same game and many was the hour happily spent searching the room after the dice rolled off the table.

Edit: Thinking about it, the old famous indoor sport was bar billiards and somebody turned that into pinball! Did somebody mix up the press releases? Did the first pinball table get announced with "A charming and simple game for young children"?
Well, it appears you can still get these as on...where else...Amazon!