3-14-2019 Thursday Live Chat Thread

LOL Duke!

What's your take on the 737 Max? I know pilots have been complaining about the lack of training and poor documentation. I think Boeing have dropped the ball on this one.

It's considered bad form in the mishap investigation world to comment on in-process investigations, but if the flight profile of the Ethiopian jet published today in the NY Times is accurate, it looks strikingly similar to the Lion Air mishap data. That said, there are other situations that could create similar results, included something as simple as obstructed/plugged pitots. I did read earlier today the DFDR and CVR arrived in Paris to be analayze, so we should have a pretty good sense of what went on in a week or so.

One thing that really caught my attention was the right seater in the Ethiopian mishap a/c only had 200 total hours. When I saw that, I immediately looked up the US FAA requirement for a first officer and it's 1500 hours. I also have heard horror stories from colleagues in the NTSB about commercial aviation maintenance standards/capabilities in Third World nations.

As for Boeing, I worked with both their commercial and military programs over the years. My sense was the commercial guys were smug, almost arrogant. The people working their military programs we really good to work with, especially the former McDonnell-Douglas guys in St. Louis

It's considered bad form in the mishap investigation world to comment on in-process investigations, but if the flight profile of the Ethiopian jet published today in the NY Times is accurate, it looks strikingly similar to the Lion Air mishap data. That said, there other situations that could create similar results, included something as simple as obstructed/plugged pitots. I did read earlier today the DFDR and CVR arrived in Paris to be analayze, so we should have a pretty good sense of what went on in a week or so.

One thing that really caught my attention was the right seater in the Ethiopian mishap a/c only had 200 total hours. When I saw that, I immediately looked up the US FAA requirement for a first officer and it's 1500 hours. I also have heard horror stories from colleagues in the NTSB about commercial aviation maintenance standards/capabilities in Third World nations.

As for Boeing, I worked with both their commercial and military programs over the years. My sense was the commercial guys were smug, almost arrogant. The people working their military programs we really good to work with, especially the former McDonnell-Douglas guys in St. Louis

I hear ya, too early to speculate. I didn't know the right seater had so few hours and that in itself is strange. Yeah third world countries have a poor safety record for sure. We'll see how this pans out but alarm bells are ringing for me no pun intended.

Minimum age to solo is 16 and full license 17. I soloed at 16
OK, does being up there and it being a long way down not scare you at all? Cuz I flew for the first time out west at 18 and I think the stewardess was ready to give me a sedative. The fingernail tears in the armrests probably indicated my fear level. Perhaps the little EEEEEK on take-off was also a clue. OK, so that EEEK may have been more of a sustained low level scream.

Reactions: TonyM
OK, does being up there and it being a long way down not scare you at all? Cuz I flew for the first time out west at 18 and I think the stewardess was ready to give me a sedative. The fingernail tears in the armrests probably indicated my fear level. Perhaps the little EEEEEK on take-off was also a clue. OK, so that EEEK may have been more of a sustained low level scream.

It sounds like a cliche but I was in my element, more than one instructor said I was a natural. No fear at all I was disappointed to get back on ground to be honest I just wanted to be in the air all the time.

Reactions: Debi
I think my worst part is the take off and landing parts. I've flown 3 times. None got better for me.

Reactions: TonyM