25 years of unexplained happenings

Tarzan55

Reaction score
I've lived in my house for 25 years, with my wife (and for 15/17 years my kids). Since the first day we moved in there has been unexplained stuff happening. Sometimes daily, but sometimes months between happenings. Something always happens when we are leaving the house for a while (e.g. holiday/vacation). For years we dismissed the happenings and looked for normal world explanations, and for a lot of happenings you can usually come up with a non-paranormal explanation. But some cannot be explained. Examples are: the guitar playing in the loft/attic - nothing was near it, nothing had fallen on it. The loft/attic cover being thrown against a wall through an opening that it did not actually fit without a lot of careful maneuvering, and a picture falling off the wall (after several years of hanging there) - a knot had slipped through a hole that it did not physically fit. That was two days after another picture had fallen from the same wall, and this was held up by a completely different method. The first picture was below the second so did not dislodge it. I could list thousands of events similar to the above. I have always thought (a) whatever this is is centred in the loft/attic and (b) it is not harmful, but either just playing around or trying to give me some sort of message. Both my wife and I are otherwise quite straight laced rational people, so it is unusual for us to even consider something unusual is involved here. People that have stayed in the house have also experienced and commented on strange goings on. My house was build within the boundary of a graveyard, although I do not think there were actually graves removed to build the house. Does anyone have a similar experience? I'm not necessarily looking to remove whatever this is - it's harmless enough albeit annoying at times. But, if it is trying to give a message I'd like to know how I can understand the message.

Welcome to the forum, Tarzan.

Interesting events at your place. Several things are possible here. You may have activity due to that graveyard, for sure. Is it residual or intelligent would be my next question. Have you ever had an investigation done there?

So, for 25 years you have had strange happenings.....so what prompted you to reach out now? Did something happend or maybe you just want some answers?

Reactions: Lynne
Thanks Debi and Aces for replying. Not sure I fully understand the question 'is it residual or intelligent?', but I'd take a stab at saying this is intelligent. There are definite predictable patterns to events, rather than it being random. For example something almost always happens when we are out of the house for more than a few days. This can be before we go, when we get back or both. In fact it's so common we used to play the game of guess what's happened this time when travelling home. As we guessed correctly though, the pattern then seemed to change, as though it did not like being predictable.

I've never had an investigation done. Although I believe there's more to life than what is currently known and accepted, this is still outside of my normal comfort zone.

Three close together events prompted me after 25 years to finally see if there's something other than randomness to this.
(1) My wife and I are very rarely ill, and I mean not even colds or flu for the past 10 years or so. But, for the last 3 periods away from home, BOTH of us have been struck down by a random illness in the days before travelling, with almost instant recovery once we have set off.
(2) The picture episode I described in my original post was after returning home last week. This was my absolute favourite picture which I really treasure - if someone really wanted to get my attention, throwing this on the floor is a way to do it
(3) Yesterday the handle on my laundry dryer snapped off. OK, it's happened before - in fact I have a spare in the garage. My garage is like everyone else's - a complete mess with a million tools and spares in there, and it takes ages to find anything. So I thought I'd have a quick look before taking my daughter to school, but not expecting to find it. But, it was on the floor in the middle of the garage when I went in there. A bit spooky, but maybe I dislodged it earlier. I took it into the kitchen to fit. Undoing 3 screws should have been easy (2 minutes), but everything went wrong and it took nearly 40 minutes to fit the handle - and I am a super competent DIYer. In the meantime my wife put a bottle of sauce in the cupboard in the kitchen. 5 minutes later, balsamic vinegar was pouring out of the cupboard. When putting the sauce in (gently) she had knocked a small hole in the balsamic bottle causing the entire bottle to leak into the cupboard. Again, you could come up with a normal explanation, but I've never seen a bottle break like that in my life and I've treated them a lot rougher. If there was a weakness how did it mange to get through the entire production and distribution process without failing? And why did it choose the exact moment I was in the kitchen repairing the dryer handle to do this? It was as though something / someone wanted my wife to be in the kitchen together at that time.

Maybe me and my wife (and others who have noticed these strange events) are having some kind of mass delusion, but if my rationale brain is still to be trusted there is definitely something going on beyond randomness. If I'm honest, not only am I still pretty uncomfortable even talking about this, I would feel even more reluctant to get this investigated - it's just not what you hear 'normal' people doing. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that this is a bit more normal than most people think.

Reactions: 7Critter
One other thought that came to mind on this. On the very first day I moved in, a neighbour asked if I could move my car as he could not get out of his garage. I went to move the car but noticed he had actually got out of his garage anyway. Out of courtesy I moved the car down the drive (which was being repaired, hence why I had not used originally, but was still usable). Later, as I moved the car out of the drive, a loose stone stuck up and magically pulled the petrol pipe from my car (the guy in the garage later said this was a one in a million chance) causing me to be grounded for the weekend - I was stuck in the house. Whatever this is, I don't think it likes me to be out of the house - so if I had to take a wild guess of what would act like this from the real world, I would say a child, a pet or someone who is lonely and housebound themselves. Oh my god, when I wrote that last part, every hair on my body stood on end!!!!!.

One other thought that came to mind on this. On the very first day I moved in, a neighbour asked if I could move my car as he could not get out of his garage. I went to move the car but noticed he had actually got out of his garage anyway. Out of courtesy I moved the car down the drive (which was being repaired, hence why I had not used originally, but was still usable). Later, as I moved the car out of the drive, a loose stone stuck up and magically pulled the petrol pipe from my car (the guy in the garage later said this was a one in a million chance) causing me to be grounded for the weekend - I was stuck in the house. Whatever this is, I don't think it likes me to be out of the house - so if I had to take a wild guess of what would act like this from the real world, I would say a child, a pet or someone who is lonely and housebound themselves. Oh my god, when I wrote that last part, every hair on my body stood on end!!!!!.
Thanks for sharing, Tarzan55. Hopefully by writing about these events and with PNF discussion, you can learn possible causes or the source of the strange events. Someone, some thing wants your attention, for sure. And why do these happen near when you leave the premises ? Attachment issues ? I am just wondering out loud.

Hi Tarzan. Sounds like you have a moody teenager ghost lol. It definitely doesn’t want you to leave. If you ever do decide to have paranormal investigators in there choose wisely because sometimes they just stir things up. You might be better using a paysic to tell you what’s going on.

I asked myself how I would handle this... I think I’d try explaining to the air that I was leaving for a short time but would return. Tell them to respect your things while your gone. Maybe acknowledgment and reassurance will be enough to keep things calm. If that didn’t work I’d lay down the law with threats of moving them out. There are things you can do to move them out. We can help you with that if that’s something you need.

Thanks Lynne. I've never had a desire to get rid of whatever this is, or even stop it/he/she doing what it/he/she wants / likes to do. My overwhelming feeling is that it/he/she is trying to give me a message, or maybe different messages at different times. I've always felt it's a bit like a guardian angel rather than anything bad. I could be completely wrong of course. I'm unsure how I could understand the messages though. One thing to say is that more things are happening now I am writing about this. My daughter found an old photo (of her) placed on her bed today. My wife, son and daughter are absolutely certain they did not put it there. On the photo she is hugging a scarecrow, and on the scarecrow is the name Bill, and the numbers 8, 9 and 15 on the wall behind the scarecrow. If there is a message this is pretty clear, although no idea what it means.

Is there any safe way to communicate with whatever/whoever this may be?

I'm curious if you've ever set up a series of hidden cameras in the home? I've heard of situations in which someone thought their home was haunted in a similar fashion but it ended up being someone that lived their attic or crawl space only coming out when the occupants/tenants are gone or asleep.

Reactions: Lynne