215 pound Python caught in Everglades

I remember reading about the snake problems in Florida many years ago. Apparently there was a big research facility that housed a lot of these snakes for study. However a particularly bad tropic storm/hurricane destroyed the facility and all the research snakes got loose. They have been eating and breeding ever since and Florida has instituted all kinds of programs to try and get rid of them. It sounds like this snake may have originally been a research specimen and has been evading capture ever since.

I remember reading about the snake problems in Florida many years ago. Apparently there was a big research facility that housed a lot of these snakes for study. However a particularly bad tropic storm/hurricane destroyed the facility and all the research snakes got loose. They have been eating and breeding ever since and Florida has instituted all kinds of programs to try and get rid of them. It sounds like this snake may have originally been a research specimen and has been evading capture ever since.
Most experts believe the pythons established a reproducing population in the Everglades sometime after Hurricane Andrew—a category 5 storm that devastated the state in August 1992. It was during that storm that a python breeding facility was destroyed, releasing countless snakes into the nearby swamps.

I hope they use the culled snakes for boots, handbags and other and put the money back into conserving native wildlife. They have no place there, plus I hate snakes :D.

Most experts believe the pythons established a reproducing population in the Everglades sometime after Hurricane Andrew—a category 5 storm that devastated the state in August 1992. It was during that storm that a python breeding facility was destroyed, releasing countless snakes into the nearby swamps.
didnt a lot of monkeys escape after andrew also? plus people turning exotic animals of all types loose in florida, with its climate that most can thrive in is a recipe for disaster....just look at the iguana population now in south florida, theyre everywhere now

Reactions: Lynne and ozentity
didnt a lot of monkeys escape after andrew also? plus people turning exotic animals of all types loose in florida, with its climate that most can thrive in is a recipe for disaster....just look at the iguana population now in south florida, theyre everywhere now
My mate caught a monkey over here when he was hunting and had it for years, it hated men. He found it living in a remote part of the Tablelands which gets very cold so it shows even tropical animals can adapt, maybe not reptiles so much.

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
I've heard something about monkeys spotted out in the wilds of florida, maybe there is some truth to it. They're probably hanging out with the Skunk Ape. lol

• Haha
  • Big Grin
Reactions: ozentity and Paulm
Yes on the monkeys but I believe they corralled most of them. People with reptiles just take a trip to the glades and drop off their unwanted pets...it's a very dangerous place! Even at rest stops down there they warn you to keep your eyes open.

• Wow
Reactions: ozentity and Lynne