20,000 Bee Stings

Been there...done that. Not sure how many times i got stung, but do you really count as your are being stung over and over and over. Stepped on a yellow jacket nest on the ground out in the woods.

• Wow
Reactions: ozentity and Paulm
My dad used to keep bees and once when he had finished a 6 pack he decided to go do something with the bees (bees hate the smell of a drunk apparently). He tucked his pants legs into his boots, put on the hood and gloves but forgot that his t-shirt did not cover his beer belly. The bees got angry when he opend the top of the box and many went up his shirt and stung him. He was bed ridden for a few days and the doctor told him he might die if he ever got stung again. I think that is when he got rid of the bees, but he kept the boxes.

We had a swarm (probably from a neighbor) years later when we lived on a larger property and he took them and put them in a box, so we had bees again, but I think he gave them to a bee keeper down the road after a couple of months.

This past spring my brother in law, who is a farmer, lost 2 of his dogs because of some africanized bees. The guys who work for him are used to finding a swarm in a tree near the house and have the procedure of getting a bee box, cutting the tree branch the swarm is on and putting them in the box. The next morning they take the box to the bee keeper. This time when they checked on the bees they bees swarmed around them and they ran. The dogs saw the ruckus and started barking so the bees veered off and attacked them. They couldn't get away. The men had a few stings and a couple of the dogs did get away and had a few stings but the two bull dogs were covered and died before anyone could help them.

I love honey bees, but I worry that these africanized bees are going to cause more problems and bee keepers are going to have to quit rescuing swarms and just kill them to be safe.

My dad used to keep bees and once when he had finished a 6 pack he decided to go do something with the bees (bees hate the smell of a drunk apparently). He tucked his pants legs into his boots, put on the hood and gloves but forgot that his t-shirt did not cover his beer belly. The bees got angry when he opend the top of the box and many went up his shirt and stung him. He was bed ridden for a few days and the doctor told him he might die if he ever got stung again. I think that is when he got rid of the bees, but he kept the boxes.

We had a swarm (probably from a neighbor) years later when we lived on a larger property and he took them and put them in a box, so we had bees again, but I think he gave them to a bee keeper down the road after a couple of months.

This past spring my brother in law, who is a farmer, lost 2 of his dogs because of some africanized bees. The guys who work for him are used to finding a swarm in a tree near the house and have the procedure of getting a bee box, cutting the tree branch the swarm is on and putting them in the box. The next morning they take the box to the bee keeper. This time when they checked on the bees they bees swarmed around them and they ran. The dogs saw the ruckus and started barking so the bees veered off and attacked them. They couldn't get away. The men had a few stings and a couple of the dogs did get away and had a few stings but the two bull dogs were covered and died before anyone could help them.

I love honey bees, but I worry that these africanized bees are going to cause more problems and bee keepers are going to have to quit rescuing swarms and just kill them to be safe.
Shame about the dogs. Almost seems like they put themselves in harms way so the people could get away. Glad your dad was ok after his attack.

Reactions: JahaRa