2-8-2020 Saturday Live Chat Thread

Ok, here's the chess story:

My freshman roommate went to HS with me, he knew I was a terrible chess player. Two doors down was a kid from NYC who was a big time competitive chess player, had a ranking of some kind he bragged about. My roomie convinced him I was a chess whiz, and he kept pestering me to play.

We played one Friday after classes. About four moves into the game, he looked up and said something about me using the same opening ("gambit") used by the Finn in some famous world championship. I had no clue what he talking about, or what I was doing. Long story short, we played to a stalemate. The rest of the people in the room knew I was a terrible, and started laughing hysterically.

When he found out I was clueless, he was furious. He insisted on another game, and beat me in like ten moves. We later became friends, and he told me my game was some illogical, he thought I was some evil chess genius. Once he realized I had no clue, it was easy to beat me.

My freshman roommate went to HS with me, he knew I was a terrible chess player. Two doors down was a kid from NYC who was a big time competitive chess player, had a ranking of some kind he bragged about. My roomie convinced him I was a chess whiz, and he kept pestering me to play.

We played one Friday after classes. About four moves into the game, he looked up and said something about me using the same opening ("gambit") used by the Finn in some famous world championship. I had no clue what he talking about, or what I was doing. Long story short, we played to a stalemate. The rest of the people in the room knew I was a terrible, and started laughing hysterically.

When he found out I was clueless, he was furious. He insisted on another game, and beat me in like ten moves. We later became friends, and he told me my game was some illogical, he thought I was some evil chess genius. Once he realized I had no clue, it was easy to beat me.
Great story. I can picture this.

Not the best sci fi and I only chose it because of Kirk's passing.

That's a great story! lol Glad you were able to become friends. Most chess people I know would have been furious with ya! lol You should see my grandson whip his gramps on line at the game. lol

Reactions: Lynne
Clapping another fun movie night. Thanks critter and T-Bird.

Reactions: 7Critter
Too bad we can't get the other science fiction movie Kirk made about the same time as this one, "Final Countdown." It's a time travel movie.

Reactions: Lynne
Too bad we can't get the other science fiction movie Kirk made about the same time as this one, "Final Countdown." It's a time travel movie.
I LOVE that movie. I can watch that over and over! But I don't think it's available.